A few questions about MBP/RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPoopeh, Apr 22, 2013.

1. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Hello!

I'm going to get a Macbook Pro in the next few months [either late June or early July] for college. The major that I'll be going into is Graphic Designing, so my laptop shall have to have a lot of power for that. And I also want it to be my gaming computer since my iMac isn't all that powerful. [late 2010 iMac]
    I've been doing research ever since last summer because I don't want to make the same mistakes as I did with my iMac [an i3 processor instead of at least an i5, lack luster GPU, low amount of RAM, etc. etc.].

I just wanted to know which should I get? I don't have a crap ton of money to spend on having a fully pimped out Retina Macbook Pro. I don't mind buying RAM & an SSD drive for my MBP. But would it still cost the same in the end if I bought the extras myself? [compared to a base model RMBP]

Is Apple going to update the Macbook Pro line anytime soon [like in a month or two]? If so, should I wait for the updated and see what they offer?

And my last question, is the NVida GPU that's in the Macbook Pro's, are they any good when it comes to gaming?

^^ Thanks for the help in advance!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The nVidia 650ms make quite good gaming machines, I would say high mid range to low high range, but not anything like a 690m. The computers should be updated in August to September, so not in 1-2 months.

Are you set on the 15"? I would say base model retina (either upgraded to 16 GB RAM/512 GB SSD/ get a USB drive) or the 15" regular with an upgraded processor and GPU.

So that is $2000 for the MBP, but you will want an SSD, so add around $200 for 256 GB or $500 for 512 GB plus around $100 for 16 GB RAM (for the future). That is around $2300.

The rMBP is $2200 for a 2.4 GHz (vs. the upgrade MBP's 2.6) and 256 GB SSD. Upgrade to 16 GB RAM for $200. That is $2400.

So, $100 more for the retina screen and other features (like better cooling, thinner, IPS display, but .2 GHz slower)

3. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Awesome, that's great to hear. I'd like to get back into PC gaming so I'll have Windows 7 on my MBP as well. Yeah I'll need this baby before August. xD That's when college starts. And I'd like to play around with it before college too.

Yep! I'm going for the 15'' Because I can't stand the small screens of the 13''. $2k for a laptop is pretty pricey, I'm not really the one paying for it, my grandfather is. I may have to use my student loans if I want a really good laptop. ;)
    Should I perhaps get a refurbished MBP/RMBP?

And is Retina really worth getting? I undertand that it is lighter than the standard and also has a better screen, but I also heard that people are having screen problems? I haven't really looked deep into the issues yet, so maybe you can help me understand if that's something I should be concerned with.

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Since the revision of the LG panels things are looking pretty solid, no more IR issues

I would still say take a look at the retina, there are some 2012 ones available cheap at places like macmall and so forth, making the price much more easy to swallow

intel will launch the haswell line in june 2nd, so after that is when you will see the new rmbp, probably not the new mbp

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Just a reminder that you can save a few $$ by using the apple education store, and the discover card (maybe others) provide 5% cash back bonus (like a rebate). The education store has a nice discount on apple care. i think my daughter saved about $550 on a rMBP 15 optioned out. Still a lotta cash.

At this point in time you are better off buying a Laptop with all the RAM and storage you are going to need. It no longer makes economical sense to buy basic and upgrade.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Disregarding the IR issues which seem to be slowing down, the retina screen is truly amazing in terms of eye strain, viewing angles and color reproduction. IMO, it is worth it on its own. 8 GB standard RAM, all SSDs, thinner and lighter and better cooling are just over the top bonuses. And refurbished is definitely something to look into if you want to save. IR is nothing to be concerned with; as always, forum people blow it way out of proportion. If you get IR, return it for a replacement or replacement screen. Simple.

7. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Just get a $400 Dell. You're just going to spill beer on it anyway as soon as you get to college :)

8. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

That's what the AppleCare Protection Plan is for, isn't it?

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Have fun being laughed right out of the store if you bring in a beer-drenched computer and expect them to pay for the repairs.

Laptops have AppleCare. iPhones have AppleCare+. Two totally different things.

10. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Haha well as an 18 [almost 19] year old girl, the last thing I will really drink is beer. xD Maybe something more girly, like a Margarita. ^ ^

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I was really worried about getting a Retina MBP but I'll keep doing some more research and if any of you own one, tell me your experience with it! I wear glasses and tend to get eye fatigue while using my iMac. [I'm on this thing 8-12 hours a day.] Will this be lessen with the Retina display?

I'll also look into the education program! I forgot all about that and thought a refurbished MBP was my only choice to save a few $$$.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol or it will be stolen.

12. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

A rMBP is $200 off for students, driving the price down to $1999 for the base model. The 16GB option is a must if you're going to multitask with heavy design apps. The rest is up to you.

There's a rumor it could be updated at WWDC (June 10th), but no one really knows, it could be later in the year as well. It depends a lot on the supliers like Intel and NVIDIA/AMD and if they can ship next-gen components in volume in time.

You also have 14 days to return it no question asked if you realize there's something you don't like.

13. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Another ~$100 off by going through shop discover.. brings it down to $1900. Apple care for students is a mere $240.... give me a dozen...

My eyes have much less strain after 4 hours on the rMBP than a apple cinema display or recent iMac or MBA. There is eye strain but not as much.

14. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I think my grandfather still has the Discover card that he used on my iMac and my mother's iPad, I'll talk to him and see if that's a good option to do when purchasing my MBP. In combination with the Education discount of course. And since I'll be added the 16GB of RAM, it'll be $2,100. Still pretty pricy.

15. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I was looking around for more deals today and I ran across a site called B&H Photo. Does anyone have any experience with their service? Have you tried their B&H Photo EDU Advantage Program? They have a very good deal on a Retina MBP 15'', 16GB RAM/512GB SSD/ 2.7GHz i7, at $2,499. And I bet it could be a bit cheaper if I did the EDU Advantage too.

16. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I've had mixed experiences with B&H. Their prices are often good but their return and exchange policy sucks compared to Amazon and Newegg, and especially compared to Apple.

17. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

they are a reputable company, just dont return products, you are gong to pay shipping back and restocking fee

18. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Nope for some reason they are the same prices idk why but I am a member of the EDU advantage and its still 2,499...

19. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

I'll keep an eye out for this place and shall continue to look for better deals. I have no idea if I'd return it or not, never know what could happen to the laptop, so I may not order from there. =/

20. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

for me returning a machine implies you didnt like it, if its a defect just go to apple support and solve there

here in brazil we have by law a return period based on problems and general dislike, the former is longer than the latter.

check out macmall as well, they have some good promotions

21. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Ah Okay, I understand what you mean now. I thought I'd have to return it to the website if it was defected.

I checked Macmall like you told me to, the same specs as other one I found but $100 cheaper. Didn't see any education program though, but that's a better price than what the Apple Store was offering.