a few questions about my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fred88, Jun 5, 2011.

1. fred88 macrumors newbie

SO i have a high end 15" 2011 MBP,i purchased it on the 7th of may. The thing is great, very happy with my purchase. although i have 2 worries/issues.

1: the battery only has 16 cycles on it but when i charge the laptop and leave in plugged in the charge only goes upto 98%, even after 2 calibrations.
    Is this normal?
    i know i don't need it yet but just out of curiosity how much is a replacement battery for it?

2: I've installed smcfancontrol, and ive been noticing its sitting at 45-60 degrees just idling while on a flat surface(ie; has proper airflow)

Is this normal?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

1. it is normal, judge whether or not it is done charging on the amber/green light and not the actual number/percentage. for a replacement battery it depends on what model you have and you could go to a number of places for it so the price would vary between locations of course.

2. i wouldn't worry about temperature. in fact, unless you need it for some particular reason, don't even use smcfancontrol as it will probably just make you anxious about your temperatures. just use your computer regularly ... as in use it as often as you need to for whatever it is you do.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal. The battery may stop charging anywhere between 93% and 99%. Read the link below for details.
    Follow the Battery Replacement link near the top of the Battery FAQ to find the battery for your model.
    Quite normal temps. You don't even need fan control to maintain normal temps. The processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). There isn't an overheating problem with Macs. There's only a perceived overheating problem. Many who are new to Macs think their temps are too high because the aluminum case transfers more heat than their plastic PCs did, so it feels hotter. In the vast majority of threads posted about overheating, the "too high" temps being reported are well within the normal operating range. You really don't need to track your temps closely, unless you're having frequent heat-related shutdowns.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: