A few questions about my new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheKingIV, May 3, 2008.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

I am very passionate about keeping this computer in great shape, and want it to run at its best for a very long time! Here are a couple of questions I would like help with...

1) In terms of the battery, right out of the box, I charged it all the way, then let it go all the way down to almost zero, then did the exact same thing again because I've heard that helps with the battery's "memory"...Do I need to be careful about how I charge/use the battery to keep it working at maximum efficiency? Should I always let it run down before I charge it? Let it charge up all the way before I unplug it? Etc. Or does it not matter after the first few times?

2) My last computer, I just left on all the time and whenever I wasn't using it I would just shut it, which would put it to "sleep"...What is the best regiment to get on for my computer in terms of "shutting it down" or putting it to "Sleep"...Should I shut it down every night when I go to bed? Or is putting the computer to "sleep" (i.e. just closing the top) good enough?

3) I will be carrying my laptop in my bookbag to class...Is one of those "sleeve" cases good enough protection to keep the case from cracking like I've seen so many people have problems with? What is the best way to minimize that risk?

4) Also, is there any way to password protect files/folders/applications?

5) Is there any way to password protect the log-in, where any time my computer is turned on a password is necessary to get to the desktop?

THANKS!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

1: For LiIon batteries, the memory does not exist, however, it is advised to, about once a month, maybe less often, run teh system to 0% battery, then recharge it and run it down again. This is called calibration and gives you a more accurate battery life reading

2: I almost never shut down or restart my MacBook. I think i had to recently because of a kernel panic, but before that it had been weeks.

3: Most of the cracking that people experience comes from the force of the lid closing. The two little plastic ridges on the lid contact the palmrests when you close it, causing the plastic there to eventually crack

4: Yes, just check out the Security pane in System Preferences

5: See 4

4. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the help!

2) So, it is not "bad" for the computer at all if I almost never shut it down? And just normally close the lid when I am done using it?

3) So I just need to be as gentle as possible whenever closing my computer? Also need to be careful where I rest my hands?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You also might be on the lookout for small scratches on the screen, at the point that the spacebar and touchpad meet the screen. I suggest keeping the soft foam sheet that came with your MB between the keyboard and the screen, just as it came right out of the box. Get some iKlear for cleaning and polishing everything on your MB; but remember to spray it on the microfiber cloth and not directly on your MB. Those scratches develop when you put your MB in a sleeve and put it in your backpack with other books, thereby applying unneeded pressure on your MB, squeezing your MB in your backpack is quite common, and should be avoided at all costs. Keep a thumb or finger between screen and keyboard side of the case, to ensure that you're not always slamming your MB shut. Good Luck with your new MB. :cool:

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The cracking many people have had is a defect Apple will repair for free. Use reasonable care but don't baby it. If it is going to crack you want it to happen while it is under warranty.

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

It isn't bad at all if you never shut it down. Eventually you will have to due to updates and the like, but for the most part, you can leave it on.

8. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

You don't even need to close the lid if you are going to just leave the MB sitting on your desk when you aren't using it. Just put it to sleep, that way you don't have to close the lid as often.