A few questions about my refurb Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tennisproha, Jan 8, 2015.

1. tennisproha, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Bought a 2012 2.3Ghz refurb Mini before the new year. Got a couple questions about the Mini specifically and Macs in general.

1. Just curious, is there any way to find my refurb Mini's original manufacture date? as in when it was originally manufactured, before it was refurbished.

2. Why does this model feature a mobile processor instead of the desktop processor that came out the same month? They both use the same amount of power and the desktop processor is cheaper...

3. I've read alot of threads making and also discounting the 2012 Mini's CPU heat sinks efficiency issues. cheaper TIM used and whatnot. Is this just a non-issue? Anything I should watch out for or know?

4. whats a good way to test my refurb Mini's performance? just cuz :D Just wanna see all cores run full steam...

Update

5. do I need a surge protector? on apple's documentation it says plug in directly to outlet…
    (don't want a UPS right not so no thanks on that.)

Update 2

While im at it, any recommendations for a good surge protector? It'll be running my Mini, TV, 2.1 speakers, and xbox. Id like it to have ethernet runthrough and 3-point protection. I've checked online and couldnt make heads or tails of anything without doing further research on surge protectors. I'm hoping you guys can save me some time. :)

Thanks everyone. You guys have been a big help in my switch to Macs. :)

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. The year of your model is in the "about this Mac" menu :)apple:)
    2. Those 2 links have nothing to do with your Mac
    3. No idea what you are refering to. Just use your computer.
    4. Geekbench

3. rigormortis, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

4. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

This site will tell you the original manufacturer date.
    http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as a "rMini". It's a Mac mini, which doesn't come in a retina model, like MacBook Pros and iMacs.

7. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

well technically there's no such thing as the rMBP either. We created that. He just created that for refurbished Mac mini. Use it more, and everyone will pick up!

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Let's not confuse with r stands for across these boards.. We already use refurb when discussing refurbs. We don't need to start rXXXX to mean both retina and refurb. Oy.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not likely. It's commonly known in this forum that rMBP refers to the retina MacBook Pro models, to distinguish those from non-retina models. There is no difference in specs between a new Mac and a refurbished Mac.

10. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

refurb Mini?!?!

apparently so. I'm just learning this. I thought the r stood for refurb! sorry.

Looks like I may have inadvertently created this. I saw rMBP on posts and I associated it to mean refurb MBP. I've been using rMini for weeks now lol. :D

Apologies everyone. Looks like its not a thing. Almost started a movement here. ;)

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Download and run this little app.

12. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. not what I'm asking.
    2. the first link is the processor this Mac is equipped with.

----------

ah of course, I forgot about them. but will it show me the original original manufacture date?

I checked and it says November 2014 (week 46 2014)… so is that the refurb date or the original manufacture date? I bought it on December 25. I can't imagine they'd still be manufacturing these is November after they discontinued the model in October rt?

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

"refurb" means that it was put together partially with used parts, but also with new ones, mainly on the outside.
    Refurb does not mean it is used. And refurbs only have one original manufacturing date.
    The date that was give to you was the original manufacturing date of your mac mini.

14. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand what refurb means. not what I'm asking. thanks.

15. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Try running "CoconutID" and see what date it gives you.
    MY system shows with
    Chipmunk - August
    Coconut - March

almost 6 months apart, I'm assuming March=manufacture and August=Refurbished dates.
    In any case it's not something I'd get excited about.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be aware that coconutID has had a history of issues with inaccuracy, especially on the manufacture date.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

What is the difference between manufacture date and refurb date?
    I am a bit lost here.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The manufacture date is the date the Mac was first made new. When a device is refurbished, it is given a different serial number with a different "manufacture" date, so the warranty starts again.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

A refurb mac is put together from different parts. Some old, some new. They could all have different manufacturing dates.
    Which part of the mac mini is this thread about? The logic board?

20. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

That's not specific to Macs, but while you don't need a surge protector to run the computer, they're generally a good idea. Depends a bit on the building where your Mac is plugged into and/or the neighborhood electrical grid.

There is no "built-in" surge protector that's going to protect it from a lightning strike-type power surge, if that's what you're asking.

----------

I think you're over-thinking this - the question was how do you find the date of manufacture, and what does that date refer to (i.e. the date it was refurbished). I think that's now been answered.

Maybe your broader question is why this matters? ;)

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not how the refurb process works. Refurbs are not assembled from a pile of new and used parts.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    So for example, a MacBook Pro is returned to Apple with a defective drive or keyboard. The defective parts are replaced and the unit is fully tested before being offered as a refurbished unit. In many cases, items are returned because the customer changed their minds and never opened the box, and there are no defects. Such units are still carefully inspected and tested before being offered as a refurb.

22. tennisproha, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems that program is quite unreliable from what I've read on it.

Thanks. yeah its just that people seem to be making claims of the 2012 quad cores running hotter than other Mini's so I just wanted to get more opinions on it. looks like the general consensus is its nothing to be worried about.

Bingo. Yes that's what I was trying to get at; if the power supply has built-in surge protection.

I live in the 'burbs so the occasional lighting strike/storm surges are my concerns. Idk why apple advises to connect directly into the outlet; I think I've read that somewhere in their Product Information pamphlet.

yes just to clarify...there's the original manufacture date and the refurbishment date. 2 different things.

It doesn't matter really. I'm just curious. I was just curious to know whether the machine and CPU as a whole are say 3 months old or 2 years old. Just to gauge how much wear its gotten as a whole or if its practically brand new.

I was actually initially wondering whether there was a way to find this out in any System Info information on the machine itself. If there's a known reliable 3rd-party app, that's fine too. Its sorta been answered; the app mentioned isn't really accurate.

------------------------

Still curious about #2 is anyone knows.

And is Geekbench the best benchmarking/Stress Tool for Macs...

Thanks guys.

23. ixxx69, Jan 10, 2015

ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you should have a surge protector for general use wherever you typically have it plugged in. However, if I need to plug in somewhere around the house or on vacation, I don't worry about it.

Re #2, Intel Mac Mini's have always used laptop chips. Only Apple knows why they decided to go that way with the overall design, but the obvious benefits for a very small form factor are that the laptop chips have a lower TDP (i.e. they're easier to keep cool in small spaces).

If you're generally interested in benchmarking, that's a whole other topic, but Geekbench is the most popular for general benchmarks.

If you just want to make sure your Mac Mini is performing (speed-wise) the way it should, Geekbench is an easy way to find out (there's a free very limited trial version). If your score is about the same as their benchmark chart, then you're good. If it's significantly lower, than that would be a concern.

The paid version of Geekbench also includes a "stress test" feature.

For a very simple but free stress-test the CPU, there's a popular (for this sort of thing) terminal command for that... google "mac stress test yes". A half dozen instances of the "yes" command should have the fans cranked. You might also want a CPU temperature utility (e.g. iStat) to check that temps are in order.

The "blackmagic speed test" utility is very popular for measuring drive performance.

24. rigormortis, Jan 11, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

to ixxx69

i dont remember ever saying that the mac mini had its own surge protection and doest need one. i think that was someone else. i have 4 apc back ups and smart ups units here. every single computer i own has its own UPS. i would of never said that the power supply doesn't need a surge protector.

you took what tennisproha said and misquoted it and said i wrote it. please delete your post.

25. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP asks above:
    [[ Update
    5. do I need a surge protector? ]]

Yes, you do.
    Every piece of equipment that you have should be run through a surge protector/power strip...