A few Questions about OS X (Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spring, Nov 26, 2007.

1. spring macrumors regular

I am new to Mac OS X and i have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to group results from Spotlight on Leopard when I click the "Show All" button? I saw one of my friends Mac running Tiger and her results where grouped by App, Documents, etc. For me it is only grouped while it is being searched on the top right-hand corner, but it gets ungrouped when I click Show All.

2. Is there a way to see a Root of a file or folder in the Finder window? Say I searched for a song and opened the Folder. From there, how do I know where that folder is located? I came from Windows, so every Windows Explorer bar had the little "Up arrow" button, where it would take you one step back kind of. I don't know if I am explaining this right but for example: I am looking for File A.a. I then search for that in spotlight and it tells me its in the "Files" folder. How would I know where the Files folder is? In Windows, I click the little up button thing and it takes me to "Documents." Then from there if I click the Up button it takes me to "User," then to "My Computer," etc. etc. I just wanted to know if theres a similar feature like this in OS X. I know I can just change the Finder view to the Column view, but how if I would like it to remain in Icon View?

Sorry if this is confusing.

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

1) Sorry no answer for you. EDIT: Possible solution... though I doubt it. When you click Show all, in the finder window hit File Name. That should group things back up a smidge.

2) I switched 2 years ago and I sorely missed the Path Bar in finder. Luckily, Apple decided to add that in Leopard. In Finder go to view -> show path bar. It'll show up on the bottom of the Finder window and you'll know where you are.

Hope that helps! If it doesn't, please ignore said post.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

1. In the Show All window, in the upper-right corner, there is a small "+" button that will allow you to add different conditions to your search (including file type).

2. Right click the small icon at the top of the window.

4. spring thread starter macrumors regular

haha thanks!! that helped me soo much.

If anyone can help me with 1, that would be great.

5. spring thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for #2. That also works.

But for #1, there's no way to do it from the beginning? In Tiger it grouped the results in rows depending on Kind.

Here's a picture of the Tiger Spotlight results:
    http://media.arstechnica.com/images/tiger/spotlight-window-results-big.jpg

Leopard Results:http://www.hawkwings.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/leopard_ui.jpg