A few questions about RMBP and Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alyshehata, Sep 29, 2012.

1. alyshehata macrumors member

Hey guys, I just installed BF3 on my retina macbook and the game is great. However, I had a few questions:

1. Why do I not have the option of running it at 1440 * 900 like most of the videos I see on youtube? I can only find 1600 * 900?

2. I run it on low settings at this resolution and I get 50-70 fps. Is that good in terms of PC gaming? I've mostly been a xbox gamer for the past few years.

3. What can I do to get more performace? (In other ways, best way to overclock)

4. What do you think are the best settings to run this game on the RMBP.

Thanks Retina lovers :)

Edit: When i run 1600 * 1200, the screen looks a little weird, and I get 50-60 FPS on Low. When I go to medium I get 30 - 50 fps. I don't feel like that is so good. So, I don't know. What do you guys think?

2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

1. Did you select 16:10 aspect ratio to use the 1440 by 900 resolution?
    2. I would suggest medium-high settings with no AA, max anisotropic filtering, no ambient, and no vertical sync.
    3. I believe your rMBP is already overclocked by default if your using Apple's drivers.
    4. Configure your settings to acquire 45+ FPS for a smooth experience with some good visual details for long range kills.

I would go for 60 FPS + VS but a GT 650m isn't all that great for gaming competitively.

3. DTKblaster macrumors member

1. Right click on the desktop and open the nvidia control panel, then create a custom resolution of 1440x900 (I'm not sure why its not there by default).

2. Doesn't an xbox play the game at 30fps? 60+ is much smoother, but personally I prefer more image details and aiming for 40-60.

3. The GPU is the major bottle neck, so you could try over clocking that from 900mhz to 1100 or 1200mhz using nvidia inspector. If you disable the CPU turbo boost with throttlestop, you can effectively maintain the thermal load while increasing FPS. I would also recommend setting the fans to max speed with lubbo's fan control (as they would ramp up to full anyway, but this way you avoid early GPU throttling from the temp spike early on).

4. 1440x900 at medium if you want fluidity.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

In my video on YouTube i run 1680x1050, which is my favorite Resolution due to the fact that my 100 Hz gaming monitor supports that resolution.

i get around 30-60 FPS on medium at 1680x1050 depending on situation.

Only thing i would do to boost FPS is to play around with no AA or go down to Low settings and maybe tweak some stuff to medium, i'm by no means smart on overclocking so i'm not even thinking on going there.

In case you wanna watch the video it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkO4Bqxg4kA

PS. i was extremely surprised at how well this game played on the MBPR, it's a great laptop indeed!