A few questions about rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macforcollege, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Macforcollege, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

Macforcollege macrumors member

So i just got a new rMBP and it is the best computer I have ever owned. I do have a few questions, what is the best external harddrive to purchase to use for time machine that wont brake the bank(100$-120$). Also as regard to the battery and charging, is it bad to leave it plugged in over night even if it is 100 percent charged or is that completely normal and okay?

Edit: Also what wireless mouse and keyboard works well with the computer when I have my computer closed and just running off of my external monitor?

2. leimin macrumors newbie

Most 1 tb hard drives are below $100
    As for charging, it's ok just make sure you exercise your battery once in a while ;)

3. Macforcollege thread starter macrumors member

Is there any 1tb HDD that are better than others, like what should I look for?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

USB 3. I prefer LaCie, WD and Seagate.

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

become a member at slickdeals , usually you can find a 3TB hard drive $90

6. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with this 2TB portable drive: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HMKKH4/
    It has the super fast USB 3.0 interface and is powered from USB, so there is no power brick to bring along when traveling. It's currently selling for just $120.

7. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi - I bought a 13" r-MBP at the end of March and agree a great machine! :)

For my backup, I use Time Machine on a 1 TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HD - about $80 at Costco - has received good to excellent reviews; I also have a LaCie SSD (much smaller capacity but also USB 3.0) as a secondary backup of my personal files, i.e. music, photos, & documents. Over the years, I have had a number of these mechanical HDs fail, so if your data is important, then redundant backup is recommended (for our new iMac, I have the same Seagate drive for Time Machine but am also using Carbonite online for our 'User' files).

As for the battery, do a search here (and on MacForums) - there are plenty of threads in both places that discuss LiIon batteries - also checkout the Apple Support Article on the topic. Good luck and enjoy!