A few questions about the 30" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbg232, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Just like the title says, any comments on specifically how to test for dead pixels, yellowing or other things before making the purchase?

2. Romeo604 macrumors regular

When I used my 30 inch ACD the power adapter was the most significant problem I had because it would reach a very high temperature within minutes and make a continual buzzing noise.

I would suggest buying a new power adapter off ebay as a backup.

When I sold my display I had my buyer test it out with my 2560x1600 HD pics from IFL as a slideshow, which displays pictures of all colours at full brightness.

Also bring your MBP if it is possible to test connection issues as the connection cables are not sturdy at all since it is plastic and users of displays often disconnect the cables when they take their laptop to work or school.

The connection cords are a hassle to replace because of the labour and this is not recommended to be fixed at home as it is much more fragile than replacing RAM for example.

3. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

A few questions about the 30" Cinema Display

Going to purchase a 30" Cinema Display, have a few questions though:

1. I currently have a Macbook Aluminum (5,1 late 2008) and Early Mac Mini (3,1 Early 2009 upgraded model), both have a mini display port, this monitor will work with them, correct?

2. Do I need to buy a dual-link dvi adapter if I already have a standard-dvi adapter?

3. The monitor was bough in 2007, is there any way to tell if this is the upgraded version (which had 400cd/m2 brightness as opposed to 270 cd/m2) aside from the purchasing date - ie any programs I can run?

4. Will this monitor with a mini-display port adapter be backwards compatible with a thunderbolt connection for when I decide to upgrade my computer (provided that this is the only thing on that connection, ie no other hard drives or peripherals, etc)

Thanks!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You will need the dual-link adapter, and it would work with either of your computers. That will also work with thunderbolt.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

IIRC, there were 2 different generations of this monitor, and you could tell them apart from either the serial or manufactured date. I think the "newer" ones had improved backlighting or something.

Search the forums, and you'll find the threads.

6. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Any way to tell if this is the upgraded model (the brighter one?)

7. Bwa macrumors 6502

You might want to do some research on the Mac Mini. I had bought a 30" and a 2009 Mini for an employee and we had serious issues with the display and waking up from sleep. I ended up buying a Mac Pro and repurposing the Mini.

When I searched on this at the time I found hundreds of folks with the same problem. I dint know if it was ever fixed. I haven't seen the issue with my old 2009 Air, my 2010 Air, or the 5770s in my 2008 Mac Pro. But we definitely had issues with the 2009 Mini.

8. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

From my research it seems that the adapter cable may have been the issue and that most of these issues (but who really knows) were fixed with the firmware update to the actual adapter cable (version 1.03). I just picked a new one up today and when I go to test the monitor will see if there are any problems before purchasing it (obviously the only ones available are used). Thanks for the heads up though.

9. Bwa macrumors 6502

Excellent. They are awesome monitors. I think the older ones are a little taller (one of mine is a bit taller than the others).