A few questions about the ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oragami, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Oragami macrumors newbie

Since Google seems to be not much of a help, i figure i would post this here...

1) Is it legal to jailbreak my ipad?
    2) Is there a way to watch flash videos without a paid app? (i would get the iswifter app if i had the money)
    3) Can i download zip files (or other types of files that aren't pictures, pdfs, or mp3s to name a few) on my ipad in Safari (or Terra) and transfer them for use to my computer?
    4) Is there a cheap waterproof case for the ipad (1st gen if it makes a difference)?

That's all i can actually think of for right now. Im sure there's going to eventually be more.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

1. Yes
    2. Dunno
    3. Pretty sure you can't since there is no file system to speak of.
    4. Define your definition of cheap but in general waterproof cases that are reliably waterproof are on the higher side. This isn't something you want to cheap out on, water will kill your tablet in short order.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

(3) No need to jailbreak, get an app called FileBrowser. I use it all the time to transfer files to and from my iPad and my computer, you can download all sorts of file types from Safari and open them in FileBrowser, then save to your computer. I forget how much I paid for it, but it's definitely worth every penny it cost.

4. Oragami thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is,i cant get any paid apps :(

5. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Do you have to purchase filebrowser for each device (iPad and iPhone) or just once $4.99 cover both?

6. BluePhoenixRa, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

1: Yes.
    2: Try Dolphin or Mercury, not sure about it though. They're free, give them a shot. iSwifter is also free. Last I heard, Opera allowed flash too. And it's free.
    3: Dropbox lets download it straight on your Dropbox account, which then automatically goes to your PC. You can do this by selecting "Open in.."
    4: Don't know about it, so can't comment. Sorry.

7. kokhean macrumors regular

Just jailbreak your iPad and install afc2add. That allows native USB browsing. Use an application like iPhone folders that supports that.

8. Night Spring, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm pretty sure it was a universal app. You can check -- they have a + sign on the price tag.

I think the latest jailbreak includes af2add functionality -- I know I didn't have to add it to enable USB transfer. Also, FileBrowser gives you wifi file transfer, which is more convenient than USB transfer. Actually, there may be JB apps that do the same thing as FileBrowser for free, but I bought FileBrowser very early on and have never looked for other solutions.

9. Agent69 macrumors member

Agent69

I'm curious: at least here in the US, is it really legal to jailbreak an iPad? I know there is a DMCA exception for mobile phones but I don't recall there being one for tablets.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As I understand it, there's so many grey areas with the laws involved that nobody knows what exactly is legal or illegal unless somebody takes somebody to court and a judge decides how exactly to interpret the law. In the meanwhile, I think it's kind of like jay walking -- strictly speaking, it might be illegal, but for the most part, it just isn't worth going after people for it. It's just one of those pointless things where legal/illegal has little bearing on what people actually do.

11. dchao, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

Yep, you are correct. DMCA exception is for mobile phones only. Unless iPad can make voice calls, it's not classified as a mobile phone. The purpose is to give consumer the ability to unlock the cellphone (you own it) after the contract expires. Since iPad is not locked to any network, there is no need to add iPad into this exception.

As I see it, iPad <> iPhone in this case.

Therefore, I would say it is still illegal to JB your iPad. But nobody is going to go after you even if you do it.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1) Yes.
    2) Yes.
    3) I don't think so.
    4) I would say so, yeah.

:)

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You can't afford cheap 99 cent for SkyFire browser app?

Never mind I check it is now 2.99….you missed it!!