A few questions about the next MBP update!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Me1000, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

So when Apple puts the new penryn (is that right?) procs in the new MBPs will

1. The Memory be faster? I know the Mac Pros went from RAM with 667Mhz (i believe) to 800Mhz. So will this cause the price of 3rd party RAM to increase? Right now I can spec out a bottom of the line MBP but put 4GBs of RAM in it and it is still $50 cheaper than if I bought a stock one from Apple.

2. Will there be an increase in the max amount of RAM you can put in it? Of course no one knows for sure if Apple will artificially limit it, but what about the processor?

3. What are the performance differences in the penryn vs the SR (isnt that what is in there now?) for example front side bus, L2 cache, speed, ect.

I know there has to be a few people who follow this stuff.

Thanks, :)

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

the max amount of ram might be higher that the sustem could use, but the MBP form factor might still limit it to 4 gigs, i cant see 6+ gigs fitting into a MBP.

again it might beable to support faster memory. but how much does this faster memory costs and how readily avalible is it?

3. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

You are confusing the penryn processor with the santa rosa chipset. Penryn replaces the current Merom processors.

If apple puts the penryn processor into the MBP before summer, it will still use the SR chipset which means same bus speeds, ram speed, etc.

When montevina rolls around, that will replace santa rosa as the chipset, and penryn will still be the processor. That's when you will see higher FSB, ram bus, and max ram.

5. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

so what is the advantage of a penryn then?
    any proformace gains at all?

6. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

There are some performance gains as like any other next gen processor. Here is a link to a benchmark done at AandTech. HERE

Number one thing is SEE4 instruction and significantly better battery life.

-JoE

7. schreck macrumors regular

It's supposed to be cooler and get a slightly better battery life (5-10%). Honestly, this next update won't be too amazing. Perhaps you'll gain the (in my opinion ugly) MacBook Air keyboard, but that'd most likely be the extent of it. Very minor performance gains, but it will be able to employ SSE4 (I believe).

I'd say a case redesign will be much more likely when they actually switch the motherboard, thus leading us to Montevina.

8. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Alot of people talk about the next update (if its in feb or march) not being a major update etc. How do we know? They may pull a rabbit out of their ass and really do something special.

Will they have a major update with redesign in feb/mar? I don't know but its possible. It has been a long time since the last update. Maybe there is a good reason for that other than delayed Peny chips. Maybe they really did redesign alot of it. Who knows?

9. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Im just worried about a redesign...I just found a sweet deal on a 17 inch MBP and I dont want it looking all oooold. Hhehe

10. yanks4sure macrumors newbie

No one knows

until it is released know one can know for sure
    we can give you our opinion but thats all u will get

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007