A few questions about this hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noodlemanc, Dec 1, 2010.

1. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Hello,

Very shortly I will be getting this HD for my 13" mid 2009 MBP. First though, I have a couple of questions about it:

1. I'm quite confident it will fit, as it is a 2.5 inch, but I want to make sure the height and everything is ok. Here are the physical specs:

Height 9.7mm (0.378 in)
    Width 70.10mm (2.76 in)
    Length 100.55mm (3.959 in)
    Weight (typical) 110g (.238 lb)

2. As it is a 7200 RPM hard drive, will it cause my battery life to suffer all the time, or only when I'm reading/writing things to the hard disk where I need the hard drive to be spinning at 7200 RPM?

Here's the link to the site I'm buying it off: http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=388946

BTW: Please don't suggest places where I could get it cheaper, as those places will probably be in the USA, where I don't live :eek: This is a trusted NZ website with free shipping anywhere in the country, so it suits me just fine.

Thank you very much!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. It will fit. MBPs can take up to 12.5mm drives

2. Some people say yes and some say no. I doubt it will suffer but there may be a small loss in battery life but not much. AFAIK HDs spin at the speed all the time, they don't have "Turbo boost". It's either full speed or no speed at all. Otherwise you would always have to wait several seconds for the HD to spin up

3. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Thats true... So any battery life loss would not be more than a few percent?

•Oh, and it'll be slightly louder than my current 5200RPM HD too won't it. Not too worried there as long as its not REALLY loud. I can't hear the 5200 at all, so the 7200 shouldn't be much more than a soft hum.

4. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

This has been asked before:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=933564

MROOGLE is your friend. :)

FWIW, I've heard people have trouble with this - not sure how accurate that info is exactly but Seagate haven't been stellar in the past couple years with this whole hard drive business (read 1.5TB drives).