Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

federman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
i have a ton of movies in itunes, but 99% are formatted for a 5th generation ipod.

should i:

1. re-rip the movies from dvd using the iphone preset in handbreak?

or

2. re-format the files i have useing isquint? and if so, what should i adjust to make the file sizes as small as possible, but remain best quality for the ipod touch?

please help

thanks

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I'm in the same boat. I was going to just re-rip the stuff I really care about (concert DVDs of my favourite bands, and my "fan-boy" films, like Star Wars).

When I looked over my library I found a bunch of titles that had been ripped weird (squeezed a 16x9 picture into the 4x3 space), so I ended up re-ripping a lot more than I wanted.

I don't have my touch yet so I don't know how bad a 320x176-ish rip will look when blown up to 480xwhatever, so I'll have to wait and see how much I am re-doing in the end.

As for settings, there are lots of threads here on that. Basically it boils down to what works for you.

Personally, I limit by file size because I've done a lot of tests and found that for my tastes, I don't mind a little bit of artifacting in stuff like silly comedies (Uncle Buck or Brewster's Millions, that kind of thing) and I'd rather have more choice than cinema-quality 1GB - 2GB movies. IT still looks 10x better than the non-HD channels I get on satellite on my big TV at home.

I'll pump up the rate as I go for concert DVDs, action movies or dark movies.

I don't output to TVs, so it only needs to look good on a 480 pixels screen, and the sound only needs to be in stereo.

YMMV. You gotta try a lot to come up with a recipe you like.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I had a bunch of stuff ripped for my 5.5g, and I loaded it up on my touch, and it looks fine. Don't waste your time, at least not until you see a few on there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.