A few questions about workflow/backing up footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fishcough, Mar 14, 2011.

1. fishcough macrumors newbie

Hi all,

We're getting ready to head to Asia to do some shooting for a doc. I'd hoped the Canon XF100 would be available by now, but now I'm hearing end of April for them to catch up with pre-orders.

So, it looks like I'll be shooting on my XH A1. We really want to move away from tape, and also need to have my footage backed up in at least two places, three would be best. This is what I'm thinking:

- Purchase a Firestone (appears the FS-C line has been discontinued. Has something replaced it that works with Canons?).

- Shoot to tape on the camera and digital on Firestone.

- The tapes would be backup #1.

- When the Firestone is full, drop the files to a macbook pro and transfer the files to an external hard drive.

- Hard drive would be backup #2.

- Finally, thinking of burning the footage to a DVD at night.

- The DVDs would be backup #3 and I'd probably mail these back once a week to our office.

Does this make sense? Am I overlooking something here?

Also, I haven't worked with a Firestone or Macbook before. I'm assuming since the files can be saved as .mov and a variety of other formats, we'd be able to unplug the firewire from the camera and connect it to the MBp to check scenes before we wrap a scene?

Finally, I've been asked to figure out if we could view dailies on an iPad 2. From what I've read, this is not possible.

I think I understand the basics, but if I'm missing a step or am way off base, please let me know...

Thanks!

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I've never heard of a firestone before except for the automobile tire company however it would all depend on what codec and format the firestone is saving the footage but it should be able to transfer the files via usb or firewire to the macbook pro. Also, if you haven't used a macbook pro before you'll be able to simply use quicktime to view the footage (assuming it comes in at a usable codec and format). However if you are just connecting the camera to the computer you will have to use iMovie or Final Cut Pro to view the footage from tape. Instead of DVD why not just get a bunch of flash drives. They hold more space and are smaller to send back.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Right track...

Well since your already planning numerous strategies, consider any to be better than none.
    Ive gone to a few shoots (as a DIT) and watched some un-professional shooters with no plan.
    Not exactly my way of thinking :p

4. mBox macrumors 68020

iPad dailies

Anything is possible if you have the time.
    If you have a decent MacBook Pro with Compressor, you can take all your footage and have them ready for iTunes/iPad for dailies.
    In the RED circle, there are iPad apps for dailies but I havent tested any yet.
    Ill probably get to see some demoed at NAB this April :)

5. hsilver macrumors regular

workflow makes sense

I think you're referring to a Firestore. Your work-flow makes sense. You might check a couple of other devices. One - I can't remember what it's called but something like Next or Nexus. But for higher end outputs 4:2:2 there is the KI-Pro and a new small camera mmountable model and -probably overkill and even 4:4:4 capability the Cinedeck. You can get a higher bit-rate from any of these 3 devices, etc.

6. fishcough thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Yup, meant Firestore (although I just wrote firestone twice will trying to type that last one--some kind of block).

I'll dig into the replies a bit more. Appreciate the help.