A few questions before buying 2013 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChuckChuck, May 17, 2013.

1. ChuckChuck macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone. I have a few questions and I apologize if they are worded technically incorrect as I am not up with technology:) If someone could help me out I would appreciate it:) Thanks. Sorry for the formatting:(

Is it possible to store my iTunes (63.94 GB) on an external hard drive and run it from the external hard drive? I have an 8 GB SansDisk that stores documents and I can open them without having them on my computer. I don't want all that hard drive space accounted for when I buy my new MBP.

I want to run Windows on my new MBP using Bootcamp but on an external hard drive. How would I do this?

Could I transfer my new MBP to the external hard drive and then use Bootcamp?

Would I need to buy another iOS?

What percent of the partition could be devoted to Windows? I would like it to be as close as 100% as possible.

I want to carry over what I have and run windows without having to put this all on my new MBP.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can have you iTunes Library from another external disk, you have to point it in iTunes to that external music folder in iTunes preferences.
    You can also open documents from an external disk, no problem.

Not possible.

Don't understand.

iOS is for Apple's iDevices, Apple's computers run OS X.
    No, if you buy a new MBP it comes with the latest OS, well, most likely 1 version down, use software update to update to latest OS.

That's a personal thing, nobody can say this for you.

Again, don't understand.

3. ncrypt macrumors regular

Although you can't use BootCamp Assistant, you can still install Windows to an external drive. I'm using one right now.

If you follow this: http://bit.ly/13v1lxk but I recommend using Windows 8 as opposed to 7 since it has a rewritten startup that actually supports booting up from USB drives -I found that Windows 7 BSODs when booting from USB.