A few questions before buying macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ioad, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ioad macrumors newbie

Before buying the macbook, I have a few questions:

1. What games can't macbook play?

2. Can I get the education discount for my macbook if I claim that I am a college student(which I'm not)?

3. Can the Iworks files be read on a PC?

4. Can the macbook read WMA files?

Thanks.

2. stekerrod macrumors regular

i can answer a couple of them for you i think,

the graphics card in the macbook is the intel intergrated one so i dont think its amazing for graphic intensive games......not sure which will or wont play though

when i got my last mac i had to provide a student card to get the discount and its people like you who probably made Apple stop giving discounts to students on iPods....dont blame you for trying though to be fair

not sure about iworks as i dont use it so not sure what file types it uses

to read WMA files you need something called flip4mac......its the direction microsoft points you in as theyve stopped developing media player for mac!

hope thats some help to you!

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I'm currently in college and when I ordered my macbook, only then did I find out but you have to be over 18 and in college to qualify, if you're 16 as I, then you get bugger all.
    Oh and you can't get the education discount as that's only for staff now.
    :eek:

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That would be a huge list ;) A better question would be "What games can you play with the new macbook?"

The X3100 isn't that much greater than the GMA950.

Here are some benchmarks:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbook2.html

5. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

I have a few answers:

1. The MacBook can play any of the games offered in the Apple Store, any games that are "Made For Mac", or if you use Boot Camp to install Windoze, it should play all your M$ games, but not at native speed.

2. Yes, provided you order online. Past experience (even though I am a legit student) seems that you only have to tell them which school/college you are attending to get the standard education discount. However, not recommended as just like multi-software licensing, it's illegal.

3. Yes, Pages, Numbers and Keynote all export into .doc, .xls and .ppt files, respectively.

4. Yes, there are more than enough QT plug-ins. Personally, I use Flip4Mac.

No problem :cool: