A few questions before I get my first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DougT, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DougT macrumors newbie

I've been using Windows for a little over 6 years, and Vista is just about the last straw. I'm done with Windows, so now it's time to head on over to a Mac. I can barely even stand to use this Windows machine from what I've read about online and seen in Best Buy. Macs just look so good. :D
    The MacBook Pro looks very promising, but it sounds like there's going to be a new Montevina MacBook Pro sometime this year. Should I wait until these come out, or just get one now? These new ones are supposed to be better and more powerful, but will getting one right after it comes out put me at risk of getting a lot of bugs and hardware defects? Is it worth the risk? Also, I've seen some talk about OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard--should I wait until this comes out to get my Mac?
    On the other hand, the 24" iMac looks very nice as well. I don't travel much, but when I do it's very handy to have a laptop as it's near impossible for me to go without my daily fix of the internet and gaming. Would anyone recommend an iMac over a MacBook Pro, or vice-versa? Both look great; I wouldn't mind both, but of course I don't have the money for both.
    Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start using a Mac.

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Go for an iMac and with the money you are saving get a refurbed Macbook. The refurbed are as good as the new ones.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get a refurb imac and start saving for a new new MBP...

4. rangerdanger macrumors member

From what I understand, Snow Leopard won't be out till next year, so I say buy it now. As for the iMac over MBP, go with whichever you want. I just bought a 24" iMac about a week ago, and I had the same dilemma as you. I choose the iMac because I rarely travel, and I start college in three years (I'm 15) but if you really want the portability and can't live without it, then get the MBP. Then you can also buy an external display for when you're at your desk at home, along with an external keyboard and mouse. If you're still interested in the iMac though, here's the link to the review I posted on my website.

http://web.mac.com/rangerdanger/Site/iMac_Review.html

Hope this helps!!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you're a power user of gaming or video editing or some other application that demands bleeding-edge performance, you're safe in buying an iMac or MacBook Pro now. Even as new ones are released, the current models are very powerful and great to use. Personally, I've always preferred the portability of a notebook, even if I use it at my desk 90% of the time. It's up to you how important that may be. In short, you can't go wrong buying a Mac now.... no need to wait.

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Get an iMac and an iPod Touch since it sounds like you don't need portability of files -- you'll have portable Internet and possibility of games (but different ones obviously)

I agree that either way you definitely shouldn't wait for some future update.

If you go the refurbed route, make sure you get familiar with the different models and current prices -- the "original" price can sometimes be misleading, because what was an upgrade and extra money a year ago, may be standard now. But you can some find great deals there -- just make sure you know what is a great deal.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Amnen,amen, and amen, great advice in all three area's;)

8. DougT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies.
    I think I'll be going for the iMac now.