Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I am planning on installing Windows 7 on my MacBook next week and will run natively with bootcamp. I just want to know a few things before I do:

Can you access the Mac HD from Windows? and vice versa?

Should I install Windows 7 in 64 bit?

Once I partition the hard drive is it possible to increase or decrease the size of each of them? non-destructively?

I think I had some other things to ask... but I can't remember...

Oh and how much space should I give windows? The only reason I really am installing it is for games (and maybe a few windows programs). My HD is 160 GB.

ALSO: I am not that sure if I would like to have to split the Mac HD.. Is it possible to install Windows 7 onto a portable hard drive or something? Would that run OK?

Thanks, Reagan :)

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
install 64 bit otherwise you won't get to use all your 4 Gigs of RAM. You can read your Mac partition but you can't write to it. If you install Macdrive however you will be able to do both.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I am planning on installing Windows 7 on my MacBook next week and will run natively with bootcamp. I just want to know a few things before I do:

Can you access the Mac HD from Windows? and vice versa?
If you have the BootCamp 3.0 drivers (included with Snow Leopard) you'll have read-only access to your Mac partition from Windows. You can get r/w access via third party utilities like MacDrive though.
You'll have read-only access to your NTFS Windows partition from the Mac side as well. (NTFS r/w capability is also possible in OS X with third party add-ons such as NTFS-3G, but use at your own risk)
Should I install Windows 7 in 64 bit?
Sure, why not.
Once I partition the hard drive is it possible to increase or decrease the size of each of them? non-destructively?
Not without third-party utilities or a Linux Live CD with a partition manager.
I think I had some other things to ask... but I can't remember...

Oh and how much space should I give windows? The only reason I really am installing it is for games (and maybe a few windows programs). My HD is 160 GB.
That's entirely up to you. I believe a standard Win7 install takes about 16GB so the partition at a minimum should be 20GB. Since you have a 160 GB HD I'd assign 60GB for Windows and leave the rest for OS X
ALSO: I am not that sure if I would like to have to split the Mac HD.. Is it possible to install Windows 7 onto a portable hard drive or something? Would that run OK?

Thanks, Reagan :)
You cannot boot Windows from an external drive. You have to install it on an internal partition or on a dedicated internal HD. (I replaced my internal SuperDrive with a second hard drive for windows, but that's just me.)

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Thanks for the info. Isn't there any way at all to have some kind of drive to install Windows on? I saw another thread talking about solid-state drives?

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
BTW sorry! I am only just seeing the guides at the top of the forum >.<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.