A few questions before I make the big purchase next week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joewillmott, Jun 4, 2012.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

Looking to buy a MBP next week and I use it as my main machine, as a professional. I am currently sat on a 13" screen due to my 17" breaking and it's not that bad once everything is resized and moved accordingly, but hopefully the new retina displays will come with the settings to put things to their regular resolutions, have them ultra tiny and free up screen space. I dunno but whatever MOVING ON...

The 13" currently don't have the fancy graphics cards of the 15" & 17" and I am going to be realistic and assume the new ones wont either. Back when I used desktop PCs it was dead simple to add/change a graphics card, I am guessing the 13" doesn't have room for one, plus with the small screen I am most likely buying the 15", which leads me onto my main question;

With the 15" MBP, is it possible to switch the graphics card yourself rather than buy the upgraded MBP? I am sure that upon release, the lower end 15" will do me just fine, but in 4 years time it may show it's age and I was wondering if I would be able to swap the graphics card myself? If so how hard would it be? I have no experience doing it with laptops.

I forgot all my other questions whilst asking this -_-

2. emacna1 macrumors regular

Current and past MBPs haven't had user-replaceable graphic cards.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The graphics cards in MBPs are soldered to the logic board. You can't swap them.

4. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

But how hard is the de-soldering? My last Toshiba had the DC jack soldered to the motherboard and after a long time desoldering I got it off and stuck a new one on. Damn companies and their soldering!

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Here's what it looks like in the current generation:

[​IMG]

Larger version: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/QWKKPpAh4AHJm1bf.huge

The orange outline is the GPU. Basically it would be almost impossible to do without damaging other components, and then you'd have to have a replacement GPU (chip only) that had the exact same pin configuration and had no other incompatibilities logic board.

Realistically it's impossible.

6. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, thanks anyway! Next week is going to be full of hard decisions =/