A few questions for an unlocked iphone.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tobs744, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tobs744 macrumors newbie

I am new to the iphone and have succesfully unlocked my Dad's 1st gen phone (hes just upgraded to 3G) with the Dev Team's Pwnage Tool everything seems fine but i just wanted to check a few things.

1) Youtube: I've heard rumours of numerous problems with this. Mine seems to work but it is very slow downloading a video. Is this normal? Any way to speed it up? I am connected to the internet through my home wi-fi so that should not be a problem and safari on the iphone is quick using my home wi-fi.

2) Cydia: Could anyone give a bit more detail on what this? Its uses? If all iphones have it or just unlocked ones? I think it has something to do with downloading 3rd party applications.

3) Applications: Am i able to download any application i want (free or paid for) from the "App Store" or will this be a problem for an unlocked iphone.

4) Notes: Is there any way to sync notes on the iphone with stickies or something similar on my mac? I know you can create a contact as ntoes and just to use that but was wondering if any proper method had been set up?

5) Is there anything in particular i need to be careful about with an unlocked iphone e.g. software updates (itunes/iphone).

Cheers for all your help.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Youtube will be slow over EDGE, but your wifi should be as fast as any iPhone.
    For downloading 3rd party apps. I chose not to install it during the jailbreaking process, as I don't need anything that might crash my phone
    You can
    You can email yourself notes, but I think it's suppose to be used as scratch paper more or less.[/quote]

5) Is there anything in particular i need to be careful about with an unlocked iphone e.g. software updates (itunes/iphone).
    [/quote]Do not ever update through iTunes unless you've read that it's safe. Apple tends to not always update the baseband, but if they do then your unlock is gone.