A few questions from a new rMBP 15" user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Nov 2, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I received my rMBP 15" yesterday. Could you please let me know the following:

1. Unlike the previous models I got, there is no installation DVD in the box. Am I supposed to "some how' make my own disc? What if I want to reinstall the OS or some software later?

2. I connected a superdrive to the computer. How come the DVD icon does not show up on the desktop? I does on previous models.

3. Is there any way to have an icon of the computer displayed on the desktop like previous models?

4. The computer is owned by workplace. If I migrate everything from my personal computer to this new computer. Can I remove all the files later by zero-in the SSD drive? Can I be sure that they will not be able to retrieve the files (including personal ones) from my personal laptop?

5. When I tried to install Windows, Bootcamp Assistant said that there is no usb drive connected. However, in a folder (not on the desktop), I saw the DVD icon. When I clicked on it, I found contents of the Windows installation disc. Anybody knows how to fix this problem?

Thank you.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1. Internet recovery
    2. Finder settings
    3. Finder settings
    4. Yes.
    5. No :/

3. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Try using a .iso to install Windows on Bootcamp. I never tried something else.

4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

If you start osx in internet recovery mode, it will let you install a second copy on a thumb drive or external drive. From the menu select "reinstall Mountain Lion". Obviously, make sure to choose the right drive when the installer asks you which drive to use !!!!