A few questions from a new user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMP2, Sep 13, 2015.

1. SMP2 macrumors newbie

Hi, first post here.

Just ordered myself a rMBP 13 with 128HD. I have also ordered a 2TB external HD for media.

I have never had a macbook before and as a long time PC user I know the importance of security. With that in mind, does the macbook pro come pre loaded with a firewall, virus scan etc or is this done separately? I am currently using AVG free on my laptop and the standard windows firewall, can anyone suggest anything?

Also, how much of the hard drive is filled by system files, ie, how much is available for actual use?

many thanks in advance

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

OS X has an included FireWall which you can turn on.

You don't need to scan for viruses, none exist in the wild for OS X. Heck, even on Windows, if you use half a brain when browsing the web you don't need an anti-virus either.

Can't answer that last question, I never bothered to check.

3. KUguardgrl13, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You really don't need to bother with antivirus. Just avoid sites and emails that could contain malware.

The way hard drives need to be formatted for a Mac, you can use most of the drive to store stuff. System files for external drives usually only take up a few MBs. And software that comes included usually gets deleted. You usually have to reformat a new drive to switch it to the Mac formatting.

Welcome to Mac and OS X!

Edit: The above hard drive info is for an external drive. You will lose a few GB for the OS and system files on the internal drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a built in firewall, but you need to turn it on in System Preferences under the Security & Privacy panel.

Unless you are concerned about passing along Windows viruses to fellow PC users, there is really not much need for an AV package on Macs.

A new Mac with the OS and the iLife and iWorks apps installed will use about 20GB of disk space, leaving you around 100GB for personal data.