A few questions from a Newbie

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jturn00, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jturn00 macrumors member

I am a mac newbie (I got my first mac on monday). I have a few but simple questions:

1. All of a sudden some of the desktop icons including the icon for the mac hard drive got bigger (Not the dock). Is there a way to make them smaller or adjust their size?

2. My os x boots directly into the operating system. Is there a way to have it ask for a password on boot up or when entering os x?

3. Does time machine back up the windows hd as well?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

1) Secondary click on the desktop and choose View Options, you can adjust the icon size from there.
    2) I believe if you go to System Preferences, Accounts, Login Options you can set it to not auto login
    3) No, Time Machine doesn't back up your windows partition.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

1. When you are in Finder (just click on an empty area on the desktop to get to Finder), click on "View" from the menu bar and select "View Options". A window will pop up allowing you to adjust icon size.

2. In Finder, click on the Apple logo in the menu bar. Select "System Preferences..." A window will pop up. Select "Security" and put a check next to "Disable automatic login".

3. I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Do you have a MBP? You can use MulitTouch to make the icons bigger...maybe you did this accidentally

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Do you have multi-touch? Doing the "pinch"-gesture, when the desktop is selected changes the size of the icons.

6. jturn00 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have a MBP and Yes I did this by accident. I love multi touch except when it does things I don't know it can do:D

Thanks for the quick responses!

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

That's a thing that bothers me with the multitouch. I wish you could choose which programs you can use it in. I hate having to go change the sizes all the time.

8. jturn00 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to control the multitouch two finger scroll speed in bootcamp? I can control the mouse speed under the control panel but I can't figure out how to adjust the scroll speed.