A few questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by josseppi, Aug 6, 2010.

1. josseppi macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2010
    ok so i'm getting a 3gs from a friend and i have an account with at&t. i haven't signed a new contract with them since before the iphone first came out. here is what i'm wondering. can i put my sim card in to the iphone and block the data from the 3g/edge network (i only need the wifi) and use it for calls and texts? most of the things i have been reading on forums and such say they will charge me because my contract says that iphones require a data plan)is this true?), but i haven't signed a contract since the iphone so my contract wont have this clause.

i have read that i don't need to jailbreak to block data. there are different websites that i can use to block the phone from getting data. is this possible? i plan on calling at&t and asking to block all data before i try anything.

would it all be easier if i did jailbreak my phone? if so any good techniques/advice would be greatly appreciated. also i'm a bit scared of the bricking thing...how common is this? i'm not a complete computer idiot; i've just never done anything more than call and text on a cell phone (did i mention i haven't changed phones since before the i phone?).

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    You cant make calls without data, so, you have to pay.
  3. NoStopN macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    He said that he plans to use wifi. VOIP apps will work on wifi. The major pain is being away from home & trying to find a hotspot. Everyone so far on this forum has said that when the iPhone gets onto the AT&T network, it sends some kind of info/signal/signature that identifies itself. Then AT&T will hit you with a data plan. If there is/was a way around it, I haven't seen anyone tell how.
  4. josseppi thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2010
    ok so it works by the way, the question i have now is if i restore the iphone will it cancel out the activation? im having issues getting it to import my music etc from itunes. thought that might be the way but i dont want to screw it up.