A few questions. Macbook vs Macbook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonesy85, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I know of all the technical differences between the two, but I do have a few questions. Right now I'm leaning towards the Macbook, but if I'm wrong about a few things, I may go with the Pro instead.

1. I've read the Macbook has 5+ hours of actual battery use, while the Pro averages 3-4. Is this true?

2. Does the Pro get much hotter than the Macbook? The main reason I'm getting a new notebook is for the portability and I plan on typing up school papers while on my bed, or laying back in a chair, so I don't want issues with the notebook getting too warm on my lap.

3. I know the Macbook is lighter than the Pro, which is potentially a big deal to me. But it's only 1lb difference. That sounds like a small difference, but sometimes even 1lb and other physical dimensions can make more of a difference that one might expect. I don't live near an Apple store, so I can't check this out for myself. Is the Macbook noticeably more comfortable to carry around and use on your lap? I'm not worried about 5.5 lbs tiring me out, but it does sound like it may have the potential to be uncomfortable.

Now for some general questions:

4. I know both screens are glossy. Is it possible to use these notebooks outside?

5. I'm a college student majoring in English, so I'm always typing papers and creating presentations, especially Powerpoint. iWork 08 seems like an obvious need. Is it an acceptable program?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1. No, it's more like 5

2. I don't know how hot the MB runs, but keep in mind with the IGP on the MBP has the same hardware as the Macbook, but with the 2nd heatsink and fan. I can't imagine the MB runs cooler than the Pro on the 9400M. The 9600GT isn't really the same story, but that isn't needed to write a paper.

3. How big is your lap? If you're a fairly small person, you may find the MBP trickier to balance on your lap. The Pro can be carried in a book bag, but it ads a lot of weight and takes up a lot of space, at least if you're like me and keep it in a sleeve with a pocket for your MagSafe. Again, it will depend on how good of shape you are in, and what your physical build is.

4. Yes, the screen goes REALLY ****IN BRIGHT.

5. Yes. Now to the more important question: Why do you need the Pro for an English major? A bigger, higher quality screen, a video card, and firewire are all unnecessary for an English student. And that's really all that seperates the low end MBP from the high end MB.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

get the MacBook. its basically now like a mini MacBook Pro. the MacBook does have two fans inside but like all powerful laptops it will get quite warm. some people have noted that its cooler than the previous MacBook.

also if you are then choosing between the lower or higher spec MacBook go with the 2.0 GHz as for $300 more your only getting 400 MHz, 90 GB of hard disk space and a backlit keyboard with the 2.4 GHz version. then use the money you saved to get Apple Care or a third party RAM upgrade.

4. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply. When you mention the battery life being 5 hours, are you talking about the Macbook, the Pro, or both?

And I've considered the Pro because I enjoy playing video games. I mostly play MMO's, which seem to work fine on the Macbook. I play WoW and Warhammer. So, I suppose I should just go with the Macbook, but the 13" screen seems like it may make things too small.

For the past year I've been using a 17" Alienware and I really don't like it. It's over 8lbs and the battery doesn't even last 2 hours. I hope I can get used to a 13, 15 inch screen

5. jTreu macrumors 6502

I think the MB will be good enough for what your planning on doing, but if you have the cash 15" screen would be nice.

6. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

All right everyone, thanks for the advice. I'm getting ready to place my order on a Macbook. I'm getting Applecare as well. I suppose I'll get the $100 printer as well, since it's basically free...

It feels good to finally make a decision...haha.

7. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

I'd get the MBP, it's easier when coming down from a 17" screen. The dedicated graphics card is still also worth it, even though you're playing MMOs.

Edit:
    I see your getting the Macbook, hope everything goes well. :)

I'm getting an Aluminium MBP (to replace my current MBP) next week....
    It's definitely going to be a very long week. :D

8. pufftissue macrumors regular

The macbook pro does not get 5 hours of battery life.

9. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the Macbook seemed like the best decision for me. It's much cheaper, which is really really nice. If for some reason I don't like Apple, I won't feel as bad. But we know that won't happen. ;)

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

maybe get a cheap Dell 20" display along with it like the SP2009W (has a webcam) or the E207WFP (better specs) which are fine for internet usage watching movies and gaming. then youll have also have to buy a keyboard and mouse etc.

11. thegilly macrumors member

If you're worried about heat when using it on your lap, get a thin board (wood, maybe) a little bigger than your laptop's footprint and rest it on that. I use my iBook mainly while sitting on my bed, but not on my lap--I rest it on a couple of pillows which sit on my legs. I have a thin sheet of some kind of plastic that keeps the pillow from blocking any vents or anything. The board is several inches wider than the iBook, too, so I have room for an external mouse on it if I want one. I used to use a thick bit of wooden board (an old shelf), but decided it was overkill. I do realise that not everyone has a mother like mine, and therefore not everyone can find bits of old shelf or plastic board lying about the house, but in case you do, it's an idea. :)

12. thegilly macrumors member

Oh, and iWork should do you fine, although TBH I've never tried to use it for essays requiring complex citation systems (I only bought iWork towards the end of my studies). I can say, however, that anything Pages won't do NeoOffice/OpenOffice will do fine, and that's a free download. I got through a BA, BA (Hons) and MA in English without resorting to Microsoft Office, so you can too!

iWork is stable and pretty and does a lot. I don't make presentations, but I've never heard ANYONE assert that Keynote isn't superior to Powerpoint. Numbers is much prettier than other spreadsheet apps I've used, and though it probably shouldn't that does make me feel happier about crunching numbers in it. IMHO, it's more intuitive to use than OpenOffice's Calc.

Depending how you think/type/work best, you might enjoy VoodooPad for taking notes and storing class handouts (if they're available to you electronically).