A few questions (new mac buyer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcrunchynut, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mrcrunchynut macrumors newbie

First of all, I would like to know if anyone has used the financing offer that Apple have on at the moment. Basically it is the offer that allows you to pay back over a 10 month period.
    Also I am torn between two macbook pro's. I would ideally like the 13 inch Pro 2.4ghz as it's £500 cheaper. However, news of an updated line coming and the removal of the C2D imminent i am unsure if this is a wise purchase. I therefore am also considering the 15 inch i5 model and paying extra.
    If the 10 month financing offer is what i believe it to be then it will work out an extra £50 a month im paying.

So basically i just want to know if i should embrace the C2D (it is a brilliant processor as i know from my friends MB) and buy it as a fitting farewell, or grit my teeth and buy the 15 inch i5 for the extra money. I also want to know more details about peoples experience of the financing and as an extra note, what other financing options are available? I believe its a 36 month plan isnt it? but APR is extortionate.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

What will be using the system for??
    In my opinion, the C2D still far exceeds most people's requirements anyway. If you dont need it, why bother spending all the extra? I would rather spend it on accessories or software etc......

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be sure, the C2D is at EOL, intel has already stated as such and apple is charging a premium for a chipset that has already been replaced (core i5/i7).

It really depends on what your intentions are for the laptop. For me, processing power was secondary as I have a desktop for my heavy lifting and I'd rather use a smaller laptop. Price was also a large factor as well.

The C2D while long in the tooth is certainly a capable processor, and the GPU is powerful enough to handle many of today's apps/games, but if you're looking to run some pro apps then the i5 based MBP may be a better option.

4. mrcrunchynut thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be a casual user. Mainly i will be using Pages, as well as surfing and watching videos. I know that the C2D will be more than capable of my needs, i just hope that getting the C2D at the EOL won't affect my overall experience. I can't see why it should. Unless i discover i want to become a film-maker or photographer.

And like you said, the £500 could go on accessories, I could even buy a new iphone or ipad! I'm pretty convinced now.

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

C2D or no C2D, the entry level 13 inch 2.4 GHz MBP is a wonderful laptop. My grandson got one for college in August and loves it. He uses it heavily every day. I think this machine now represents the best value in the entire Macbook lineup.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

And even if you do -- I use my 2 year old Aluminum MacBook (basically a 13" MacBook Pro) with Aperture and Photoshop, and I regularly video capture and process lectures I give, which also involve running engineering CAD tools in a Windows virtual machine. Plenty of power for what you want to be doing.

7. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

As already mentioned the C2D processor is very capable and unless you are going to do heavy workloads where a more powerful processor is better suited, for average use the C2D is more then capable.

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I would wait mate. The MBP will be refreshed early next year with better technology.

You will get more for your money if you wait just a little but longer and that will help you futureproof your laptop which saves money in future. Also stick with the 13" and buy an iphone - they are a great combo!

See what other people are saying on the same topic here.

9. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

True if you wait you'll get something more powerful, but do you need the extra power? As for 'future proofing' I'm not sure what is meant by that, a processor refresh in the 13" model macbook pro will not render all previous models obsolete overnight, in fact most users, I think, will still be quite happy with the performance their macbooks give them. Lusting after the 'latest and greatest' is one thing, buying a macbook that suites your needs more then your wants can be more of a challenge.