A few questions on AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lynkynpark86, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

1. Can I use it for AirPlay and Wi-Fi at the same time
    2. Can I make it wort as an extension of sorts, connect to my existing wifi network and link a second network through that
    3. While using AirPlay, can I use any 3.5mm connector, such as a stereo connector meant for mp3 players, or my headphones?

I apologize if the answers are easily found elsewhere, but I couldn't find them.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

1. yes, in any of the 3 ways described in #2, or option 4 is that you just run an ethernet cable to it, and turn off the wireless.

2. it can extend a network, meaning connect to your existing wireless network, and repeat it so that you get more range. This only works (easily if at all) if your main base station is another airport (express or extreme). and you will take a speed hit (up to half) for things connected to the repeated network.

you can also wire it to your existing network and have it act as a second base station. just put it in bridge mode, and give it the same SSID and security settings but different channels. your devices will connect to the stronger signal, and should switch seamlessly between the 2 as you move around.

you can also have it join your existing network, this will work with any main base station, you don't get the wireless range extended though. and as long as it's not an older b/g model. (won't be a problem unless you get used) you can also connect an ethernet cable to it, and share the network on that cable.

3. yes, the connector is the same as a headphone connector, but it is line level, meaning it's designed to go into an amplifier before the speakers. This could be a set of power speakers of some kind, or a receiver/amplifier like you would have in a stereo system.

you can also use optical, using a mini-toslink connector to something that will plug into your stereo.

---------------
    when setting them up, I highly advise you to plug into it via wired ethernet from your computer, either directly, or over your exisiting wired network depending on how you're going to use it. once it's set up, you can disconnnect the ethernet if that's appropriate.

and also you can plug a printer into the USB port, but not a hard drive.