Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiotek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Are all HDMI TV/monitors basically compatible with the Mac Mini?

I was looking at a Insignia 1080p as monitor.

Also what is the status with the Mac Mini? Is Apple releasing any new models soon?

I need to replace my old IMac late 2009 3.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8gig or RAM

Is it worth getting a Mac Mini?

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
1) Are all HDMI TV/monitors basically compatible with the Mac Mini?

2) Is Apple releasing any new models soon?

3) Is it worth getting a Mac Mini?

These questions are kind of like red meat for this blog.

1) Yes. 2) Nobody really knows but some people guess October 2016. 3) Not if you are only going to watch TV on it.

audiotek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
These questions are kind of like red meat for this blog.

1) Yes. 2) Nobody really knows but some people guess October 2016. 3) Not if you are only going to watch TV on it.
The most I do processing wise is video editing using Filmora and GIMP for graphics that's pretty much it. I just don't want to spend the money for a new IMac If I can get away with a Mac mini that would be perfect.

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
The most I do processing wise is video editing using Filmora and GIMP for graphics that's pretty much it. I just don't want to spend the money for a new IMac If I can get away with a Mac mini that would be perfect.

I do not know the software, but my guess is, the $699 mini would be fine. A lot of people in this blog are upset the memory is not upgradable and the stock hard drive is slow. If you configure an upgraded machine, then the price is $1099. And then there is apple care and tax. It may pay to wait until new machines come out particularly if you can wait and intend to keep it for a while. But then a few people expect the mini to be discontinued. Buying Apple products seems to be a huge guessing game these days.

audiotek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
I do not know the software, but my guess is, the $699 mini would be fine. A lot of people in this blog are upset the memory is not upgradable and the stock hard drive is slow. If you configure an upgraded machine, then the price is $1099. And then there is apple care and tax. It may pay to wait until new machines come out particularly if you can wait and intend to keep it for a while. But then a few people expect the mini to be discontinued. Buying Apple products seems to be a huge guessing game these days.
That's my feeling to I don't think the Mini did as well as they were expecteing. Can you put a SSD drive in those Mini?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
That's my feeling to I don't think the Mini did as well as they were expecteing. Can you put a SSD drive in those Mini?
If you want to have something upgradeable, not spend much and upgrade it with SSD drive(s) then you may want to look at getting a used 2012 mini off of eBay (someone commented the other day that they're down to $560?)
These really weren't designed to be customer-serviceable, so unless you're mechanically inclined and comfortable taking electronics apart you may want to get either your local mac repair shop or a friend that IS so inclined to do it for you.
To give you an idea - there are guides on ifixit and videos on youtube showing how to add an SSD to a mini (I recommend adding, then using the original, slower drive for your iTunes library, etc).

ifixit also sells the kit (connector and tools) that you need to do the upgrade.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/11713

I myself have been using a 2012 mac mini (bumped up the memory to 16GB) as a HTPC and my primary home computer since it came out (connected to a 65" plasma TV via my Pioneer AV receiver).

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
Can you put a SSD drive in those Mini?

Yes. The Apple website lists all the customizations they will do and you can also put one in after market, however, the aftermarket ssd is tricky to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.