A few questions regarding the new Macbook Pro 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyMan420, May 28, 2012.

1. HappyMan420 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, so I was going to buy the 13 inch 2.4ghz MBP today and then learned that next month they're going to release the newest MBP. Should I hold off until next month to buy it? I'm kind of on a tight budget so the most I can spend is $1,200 plus tax and insurance on it which is why I was going for the 13 inch 2.4 MBP because that is the exact price of it. Will the newest 13 inch MBP's also be listed at $1,199 when they're released for retail and the old ones get bumped down in price? Or will it be a higher price all together? Sorry if this is a stupid question this will be my first mac purchase so I'm not up to date on how Apple does their prices. Thanks for the help :D

2. varsis macrumors regular

prices generally stay the same or within a 100 dollars. Even if you wait can't you save another 100 in 2 weeks? Also, If for some reason you don't think the upgrade is worth it, I'm sure apple will sell you a new (the current version) at a large reduction in price compared to a new one if you wanted, being the new one is likely to come in 2 weeks. I suggest waiting At least you will be able to get one at a reduced price assuming you can wait.

3. HappyMan420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no problem waiting the extra two weeks or paying another $100 or so for the upgrade, so I think I will go ahead and do that! Will I be able to pre-order it like I was my iPhone and pick it up at my local Mac store? Or is it going to be tough to snag one because of the anticipation for it?

Thanks!!

4. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

You should have no problem simply turning up to your nearest store and buying one!

5. HappyMan420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am absolutely excited to the max!!:cool:

6. jivemaster macrumors member

Definitely buy the new, especially when it's so close to release.

7. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

15" will be updated but not sure on 13"

I am sensing some apprehension as to whether the 13" will be updated.

8. pragmatous, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

pragmatous macrumors 65816

I honestly think if Apple wants to compete they need to lower the prices a little bit. I guess it depends how many orders they want. A lot of windows PC makers are copying the Macbook pro design.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC

That is actually fairly attractive and it weighs in at 5.78 lbs.

For $2,179.98 you get:
    Operating system Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Processor 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM Processor (2.7 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
    Graphics card NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]
    Memory 16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Hard drive 750GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    Hard Drive Acceleration Cache NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
    Security software No additional security software
    Primary battery 50% off 6 cell + 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Display 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
    Primary optical drive FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
    Personalization HP TrueVision HD Webcam
    Networking Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
    Keyboard Backlit Keyboard
    Your additional options:
    Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
    HP Care Pack Services HP 2-year Care Pack Pick Up and Return Service for HP Pavilion Laptop PC

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

We don't know anything about the upcoming MacBook Pro's other than the high chance of it having the Intel Ivy Bridge processors. That's about it. No one knows the pricing or what other components it will have. Everything at this point is just a guessing game.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Compete with what? If you want Mac OS X, the only choice you have is the Mac.

If you're looking for Windows, odds are the Mac isn't even considered!

Apple is doing very well with their current price-points.

11. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

And how!

To hammer home the point: there is more to a computer than just the parts - it's about the whole experience and what it can enable you to do. If you believe (as I hope you do) that the Mac experience is the way to go*, then you must factor that in as one of the most significant 'value adds' in the equation.

Or, another way: I can buy a fast Ford that's got a great spec, but is probably a bit thrown together in comparison with something like a 5-series BMW. The BMW would be more expensive and probably slower, but will be better built, more reliable and will hold proportionately more of its value when/if you come to sell. Quality always commands a premium. However, in the Mac case you can't really compare, due to the OSX factor.

* I couldn't go back to PCs - the time wasted with random crashes, weirdness, clunky interface, nagging UI elements, etc. - and if you're on this forum then I suspect you probably agree.