A few questions regarding updating

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Missjenna, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I currently have a Jailbroken iPhone running on 3.1.3. It has been on 3.1.3 since may and I jailbroke with spirit. I understand the current ios version is 4.2, but there is no untethered jb for it yet.

My question is - its still possible to upgrade to 4.1, correct? How do i go about doing that? I also need to back up my cydia apps before hand, correct? Is there anything else I need to backup, or do I just need to sync before I upgrade.

I've dug around on google and the boards but I haven't found a clear answer.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

What iPhone do you have? 3GS?

I suppose it's slightly moot as the answers are the same.

As you have been jailbroken, I'm going to assume that your SHSH are on Cydia's servers. Open up Cydia on your phone and see if the SHSHS are saved, if you clicked the "make my life easier" option then they'll be there. You will need the SHSH for 4.1 to upgrade to 4.1

The instructions can be found on iclarified.com. They have lots of instructions on these things, so head over and have a look.

As for the cydia packages - yes you will need to reinstall them after you've upgraded to 4.1. The free automated way is via aptbackup, but there have been reports of issues with it, so you may want to be careful. The paid automated way is via Pkgbackup, and that's received better reviews than Aptbackup, but still far from problem free. The best way of doing things is with pen and paper. Just do it manually.

Also, when you do update to 4.1 avoid restoring from backup, there have been reports of this mucking up battery life.

Sync before upgrade, find the back up file and archive it somewhere is my advice.

3. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I have an iPhone 3g, sorry, I thought I posted that. And yes, I do have my shsh saved. Thanks for the info.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 for any iPhone 3G is not tethered so you can just update to 4.2.1.

5. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

I love your "best thread ever" link in your sig. I wonder how many HELP I ACCIDENTLY UPGRADED AND LOST MY JB! threads there are on macrumors?:D

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

too many. way too many.

7. Missjenna, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I have a quick question about backing up, and didn't feel like creating a new thread.

Lucifiel said above the best way is to use a pen and paper. However there's one little problem I find with that.....what if it's a paid app? How do you get it back after an update or restore? If it's an app like MyWi or My3G I wouldn't want to pay for it twice....thats really the only reason I haven't paid for an app like that yet....

thanks!

9. outphase macrumors 65816

Paid apps are tied to your Cydia account. If Cydia doesn't recognize that your phone is linked to your account, you just need to link it again via fb or google accounts.