Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington
I currently have a Jailbroken iPhone running on 3.1.3. It has been on 3.1.3 since may and I jailbroke with spirit. I understand the current ios version is 4.2, but there is no untethered jb for it yet.

My question is - its still possible to upgrade to 4.1, correct? How do i go about doing that? I also need to back up my cydia apps before hand, correct? Is there anything else I need to backup, or do I just need to sync before I upgrade.

I've dug around on google and the boards but I haven't found a clear answer.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
I currently have a Jailbroken iPhone running on 3.1.3. It has been on 3.1.3 since may and I jailbroke with spirit. I understand the current ios version is 4.2, but there is no untethered jb for it yet.

My question is - its still possible to upgrade to 4.1, correct? How do i go about doing that? I also need to back up my cydia apps before hand, correct? Is there anything else I need to backup, or do I just need to sync before I upgrade.

I've dug around on google and the boards but I haven't found a clear answer.

What iPhone do you have? 3GS?

I suppose it's slightly moot as the answers are the same.

As you have been jailbroken, I'm going to assume that your SHSH are on Cydia's servers. Open up Cydia on your phone and see if the SHSHS are saved, if you clicked the "make my life easier" option then they'll be there. You will need the SHSH for 4.1 to upgrade to 4.1

The instructions can be found on iclarified.com. They have lots of instructions on these things, so head over and have a look.

As for the cydia packages - yes you will need to reinstall them after you've upgraded to 4.1. The free automated way is via aptbackup, but there have been reports of issues with it, so you may want to be careful. The paid automated way is via Pkgbackup, and that's received better reviews than Aptbackup, but still far from problem free. The best way of doing things is with pen and paper. Just do it manually.

Also, when you do update to 4.1 avoid restoring from backup, there have been reports of this mucking up battery life.

Sync before upgrade, find the back up file and archive it somewhere is my advice.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington
I have an iPhone 3g, sorry, I thought I posted that. And yes, I do have my shsh saved. Thanks for the info.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 for any iPhone 3G is not tethered so you can just update to 4.2.1.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
What iPhone do you have? 3GS?

I suppose it's slightly moot as the answers are the same.

As you have been jailbroken, I'm going to assume that your SHSH are on Cydia's servers. Open up Cydia on your phone and see if the SHSHS are saved, if you clicked the "make my life easier" option then they'll be there. You will need the SHSH for 4.1 to upgrade to 4.1

The instructions can be found on iclarified.com. They have lots of instructions on these things, so head over and have a look.

As for the cydia packages - yes you will need to reinstall them after you've upgraded to 4.1. The free automated way is via aptbackup, but there have been reports of issues with it, so you may want to be careful. The paid automated way is via Pkgbackup, and that's received better reviews than Aptbackup, but still far from problem free. The best way of doing things is with pen and paper. Just do it manually.

Also, when you do update to 4.1 avoid restoring from backup, there have been reports of this mucking up battery life.

Sync before upgrade, find the back up file and archive it somewhere is my advice.

I love your "best thread ever" link in your sig. I wonder how many HELP I ACCIDENTLY UPGRADED AND LOST MY JB! threads there are on macrumors?:D

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I have a quick question about backing up, and didn't feel like creating a new thread.

Lucifiel said above the best way is to use a pen and paper. However there's one little problem I find with that.....what if it's a paid app? How do you get it back after an update or restore? If it's an app like MyWi or My3G I wouldn't want to pay for it twice....thats really the only reason I haven't paid for an app like that yet....

thanks!

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Paid apps are tied to your Cydia account. If Cydia doesn't recognize that your phone is linked to your account, you just need to link it again via fb or google accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.