A Few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hetalia, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%A...218646127726&skuId=5430505#tab=specifications

This is the Mac I bought. I have a few questions? Not sure if I bought a new 2010 model or a 2012 one? so...

Where can I find out when my Mac was manufactured?
    What is the difference between my Mac and the retina display ones
    Did I overpay or is that a good price?

Again I a new to macs and new to computers in general I don't know much. I just wanted a good reliable computer. And I heard Macs were good computers. So far I absolutely love this computer.

2. defektion macrumors regular

You paid about the average price for a base 2012 13" Macbook Pro. You saved about $60 bucks.

If you want to maximize the full potential of your computer, I suggest an SSD upgrade & max out your ram which is 16GB.

You'll enjoy your laptop for years to come! :)

Enjoy your new laptop!

3. dinggus macrumors 65816

Go to the website below, enter your serial number.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

The difference between your Mac and the Retina:
    1: Display
    2: Price
    3: I've been told they don't have a CD-ROM drive
    4. I've also been told they use flash HDD.

Don't quote me on 3 and 4. I'm just telling you what I had to listen to when someone was bragging about buying their MBP Retine for $2k with AppleCare, telling me a Mac Mini is a waste of money.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

According to the discription it has the Intel HD4000 graphics, previous models had the HD3000 or something else, so it's a 2012.

Probably China. My older 13" MBP says right on the bottom. "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China."

Display resolution and a standard SSD vs the HDD in yours.

Like the others have said, you paid just under the standard retail price. I've seen them on sale for as low as $949, but that was over the black friday weekend.

5. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

I looked on Best Buy.com and it says DVD/CD drive not included. So it must be true. Not sure for the HDD though. I don't understand Apple's reasoning behind not putting CD ROM drive in a computer that costs that much. Maybe there is something I don't know. I didn't buy Apple Care. I just bought the $100 accidental protection policy from Best Buy. Don't think that covers if it gets stolen though. Just damage. Thank you for the info everyone. I was just wondering. Like I said I am very satisfied switching over from Windows to Mac. I love my Macbook!

6. dinggus macrumors 65816

I've used my iMac CD-Rom once, for a fresh install. Everything is on App Store and everyone uses a mp3 player.

7. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

iMac CD Rom?

8. dinggus macrumors 65816

The CD Rom in my iMac...

9. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

10. dinggus macrumors 65816

Sorry it's 2am and I'm irritated with the gym. Haha.

iMac is the desktop.

But what made you get a Mac?

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

To make the computer thinner, something had to go. Apple has a utility that allows you to use the optical drive in another computer on the same network.

12. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

I heard they were good computers, and they were very reliable. I have a iPhone and a Ipad and I fell in love and I needed a new computer for school. something that will last. Do I need to buy a Mac Mini also with this?

13. dinggus macrumors 65816

Mac Mini is another desktop computer, but no accessories (that I know of).

You'll be find with the laptop.