A Few Questions!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, May 1, 2009.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Hey all!

I'm gonna make this as short as possible, coz I have quite a few questions that I have about a few Apps on Leopard 10.5.6

1. How can I hide all the file extensions on my MacBook? [ANSWERED]

2. How can I rename multiple files at a time? [ANSWERED]

3. You know the little button on the upper right corner of almost every App? (what's it's name btw?) well, I love navigating through my Finder Folders when pressed (hiding Devices, Search, etc..) but I don't want every folder to open up on his own...

4. the Dock sometimes does not open Trash when I click it, nor it opens the stacks folder when the stack is open and I click on "Open in Finder" [ANSWERED]

5. saved web pages as ".webarchive" files can't be seen through quick look. is that normal? can i toggle it? [ANSWERED]

6. is there a key stroke/keyboard shortcut to "right-click", instead of Control-Clicking? (I know there's the two-finger-tap, but I wanna know if there's a keyboard stroke..) [ANSWERED]

7. when I open up the Keyboard Palette/Viewer. if I press on a modifier key (like Command, Control, Fn,..) it'll show me how the buttons change accordingly. I noticed that when I press FN, the "Return/Enter" button changes the symbol to an "X" instead of the normal arrow, I couldn't figure out what it does differently than the normal Return.

8. Where does Safari keeps the Cache? (I'm using Safari 4 Beta) [ANSWERED]

9. When I press "Command+Control+D" when i hover over a word to look up its meaning in Dictionary it doesn't do anything... and when I Control-Click it and select "Look up in Dictionary" it doesnt do anything either... and I tried doing both things when I had Dictionary running in the background and when it was closed and nothing.... so, what can I do? [ANSWERED]

10. in iTunes, I want to disable the little link button to iTunes Store next to each song/artist/etc... I know if I disable iTunes Store from Parental Controls, it'll do it.... but if I do, I won't be able to download Apps! How can I turn them off?? [ANSWERED]

11. I know that this is a hardware question but i don't want to open up a whole thread for it... How many cycles can a MacBook Battery hold? I'm using the 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB, 13.3", White... My cycle count right now is about 160 Cycles and I've been using it for about 8 months... is that good? [ANSWERED]

I know I made a REALLY Big Thread! I'm so Sorry, but I gathered up all the questions that hit my head in past couple months, so that don't open many threads!

THANKS FOR ANYONE WHO ANSWERS OR OFFERS ADVICE!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Here's some answers where I had answers.
    1. I think by default it's set to hide extensions, but other than that I'm not sure. Most people try to go the other way and show all extensions and even hidden files.
    2. Try out Name Mangler or you can find some Automator scripts to do certain types of renaming.
    3. Commonly referred to as the Jelly Bean button, but I don't know of any technical term.
    4. The machine could be busy or is hanging at the moment. That's the only time that happens to me.
    5. Don't know.
    6. Not that I've ever found.
    7. Not sure.
    8. ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari
    9. Dictionary functionality only works in certain apps. Should work in Safari though, it at least did for me for both techniques you described.
    10. I swear I've seen a setting for that, but can't find it currently.
    11. Not even sure how to see how many cycles I've got.

3. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Thanks for your reply!

about Dictionary, I'm trying it with Safari, Mail, Pages, Keynote, etc... all Apple Apps...

and about Battery Cycles you can check it under "Power" in the System Profiler... but thanks anyway, i found out that the normal battery life for the white macbook is about 300 cycles.. ;)

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Hmm, cool, my MacBook is almost 2 years old and only has 25 cycles on it. Guess it has a good life ahead of it.

As for Dictionary, here are some pages to look through,
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1562181
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=214169
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=163209

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Quit iTunes, open Terminal, and run this command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Why would there be?

Number of cycles is completely meaningless. How much charge is the battery capable of holding?

7. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

in 2 years, you've only charged your macbook 25 times?!?!:eek:

Thanks a lot! it worked!

when fully charged it'll hold up to 4/5 hours of normal work (word processing, listening to music, etc..) and about 3 hours of WiFi, downloads, etc....

is that good??

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Full charges probably, but I have mine plugged in most of the time, which is likely why miles01110 says that number is meaningless, though when not connected it holds its charge for a good while.