a few quick questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thekiller, May 26, 2007.

1. thekiller macrumors member

hi there, I just got my first mac (black macbook) and I have a few questions:

1. how do I take screenshots?
    2. How can I delete the .dmg files that are in the trash?
    3. How can I hide or delete the disk image? of msn messenger and limewire from the desktop.

thanks in advance, I've already searched this questions, but I couldn't find the answers.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

1. command (the apple key) is used a lot, keep that in mind, so here goes:
    - command+shift+3 to take the whole screen
    - command+shift+4 to take a selection (use the mouse)
    - command+shift+4 then hit the spacebar to take only a window (the camera icon should appear).
    Alternatively, use the Grab.app application in the Utilities folder in Applications. The screenshots will end up on your desktop e.g. "Picture 1.png", "Picture 2.png" and so on.

2. Couple ways to do this:
    - right-click the trash can and click "Empty Trash"
    - press shift+command+delete to empty using the keyboard
    - in Finder, go to Finder (menu option) and click "Empty Trash".

3. Once you install MSN Messenger (have you tried Adium yet, btw? http://adiumx.com) and Limewire, "unmount" the disk image (again, a couple ways to do this):
    - by either dragging it to the trash can
    - right clicking the icon and hitting "Eject"
    - using command+e as the keyboard command
    - in Finder, going to File and click "Eject "(name)""

Then delete the .dmg file, and then empty the trash.

edit: If you need more help, check out the Guides other people on these forums have written to help newbies out:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

3. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Okay the PC to Mac converts answer because I think your making the same mistakes I did.

1. Try this Widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/business/screenshotplus.html)

2 & 3. Okay follow the Guru's advise on "How to delete", but understand why you are having problems. When you download an application for your Mac it will come in one of two forms.

The first, a self installer that will do what it says. Install the application.

The second, from what I have seen are always .dmg files, these once downloaded will be mounted as drives. When you explore the drive and run the application setup you will be told to drag and drop the application icon to your Applications folder. Once you have done that the application is installed. You should then unmount, "EJECT" the drive and then you can delete or move the .dmg file.

4. thekiller thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick answers....

I still haven't got rid of the disk image because if I unmount it and then delete de .dmg file, then messenger won't open (it uninstalls itself)...

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It sounds like you've been running apps off of the disk image as opposed to actually installing the app onto your HD. janey already posted the general link to this, but read this informative guide (it has pictures!) and it should hopefully clear this up.

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

You have to drag out msn messenger out off the window to somewhere else usally application.
    Then you delete it.
    Edit: Dam you devoilt.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

This is what you want to do:

Picture 2.png

The "Microsoft Messenger" disk on your desktop is not a folder, it is a pretend CD-ROM. When you drag it to the trash, that equates to ejecting the pretend CD from your computer. You're not supposed to run programs off this pretend CD, just as you wouldn't run them off a real CD. Drag the Messenger program from the pretend CD to your Applications folder, which is located on your real hard drive, and run it from there.

8. thekiller thread starter macrumors member

9. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

10. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

:) I remeber my "Lights" moment. My girlfriend said it was rather scary as I am usually a grumpy old sod.

I remember, after setting up my MBP and moving all my data across, I was left feeling as if I had missed or forgotten something.

11. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Another nice tip is to not touch any crucial files that is needed by an application. I'll give a few examples.

1) Microsoft Folder in Documents. Whilst people like to organise folders themself, a few folders, such as this one, should not be touched. This is because Microsoft Office needs to locate the files here in order to work and moving it will cause problems for the application.

2) Sometimes you'll find files that appear from nowhere with strange extensions. Don't just delete these because they look suspicious, google them as sometimes, little important files like to unhide themselves.

3) I would say this is the most important rule as a lot of people make this mistake and a lot of the time it can be very costly. Do not ever, under any circumstance, organise the iPhoto library from within Finder. (The Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer) Always adjust your files from within iPhoto unless they're referenced in their original location. Editing the file names etc. can mess up the way iPhoto works and may lead to you having to start from scratch. If you need to access a photo export it from iPhoto or you can locate it from the iPhoto library and COPY it. Just leave the original file.

Hope you enjoy new Macbook. :)

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Most new Mac converts do. So, before you come back to ask why the green button doesn't work (which we would be happy to answer) buy Davis Pogue's Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition. It will make your conversion experience much easier. Best wishes and welcome

13. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

I purchased both Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual - Tiger Edition (Missing Manual) & Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: Tiger Edition (Missing Manual) as a package deal from Amazon.

Both books are great and sell for about £12 each (About $24). If you are going to buy one I would say buy the Mac OS X: The Missing Manual: Tiger Edition (Missing Manual) rather than the switching to the Mac book as it contains all the information plus a little extra.