A few quirks.../pagefile, sleepimage, restore, spotlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Ploki, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

Ploki macrumors 68000

I have the 16GB rMBP, and its using 1.3gb swap memory. Is there any reason for that?

My old cMBP with 8GB ram only used swap when I used more than 8gb of ram.

I also have pageouts?!

edit:
    I found more quirks:
    - everytime i restart the system, spotlight wants to re-index the drive.
    - i disabled hibernate (set to mode 0), yet it writes sleep image again and again.
    - I have all recent items enabled but upon restart apps are restored. how to kill it?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Is it swapping excessively and noticeably affecting performance?
    Really, why worry about it? It's the machine's job to manage memory, not yours.

Edit: if you really are concerned, what are you loading up. Any extra daemons? Have to look at the system as a whole. No one can say why unless you provide a whole bunch more information.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You need to keep an eye on how your memory is used via Activity Monitor or some other app like IStat. I have 8GB of RAM in my rMBP and never have page outs unless there is a problem--and I have had problems mostly with web pages that go array and load content that uses up RAM. The only page that I've noticed with me is the music service MOG. Sometimes for whatever reason, maybe something on their end--the page will hang and load inordinate amounts of RAM and create many page outs--sometimes several hundred thousand. This is obviously not normal. Unless you are running some very intensive programs--or find runaway web pages, you should not have page outs.

4. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

I know how to check RAM, i use the iStat menus bar. Even with inactive memory displayed as taken, I have more than 9GB free ram all the time.

I don't mind OS managing my RAM but why on earth the SWAP file? I didn't have it on my cMBP on 10.8.2 with LESS RAM, unless I ran out of it.

And it 1.3GB in size, cMBP only went up to 128MB or something WHEN i ran out of physical ram. this is odd.

I also have 160,000 pageouts after 4days uptime. this is unusually alot.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

All I can recommend is to keep a close eye on the memory tab of iStat. That's what I do. When you restart your computer you will have 0 page outs. So just keep an eye on it, and when page outs occur, check your memory usage to try and see what program caused the page out. I don't have any page outs but do have a small swap file--256MB.

6. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

As I said I always keep eye on it, it never went over half of the pie.

Another odd thing, I disabled safe sleep (hibernate mode 0) and it still writes a sleepimage to /private/var/vm...

7. leman macrumors 604

You have a swap file because something on your system is eating lots and lots of RAM ;) What kind of software do you use? I too have 16Gb RAM and I never actually saw a single pageout on my machine... (well, there was one time where I botched a statistical simulation code and it went grabbing 25GB of RAM within half an hour ^^)

8. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

Must be a friggin memory leak... Gotta see where is that memory hog.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Half a pie? Hmm--if memory is a big concern you might want to invest in the paid version of iStat for $16--no pie--just detailed breakdown of memory and other stats readily available in the menu bar.

10. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

:) I have it. I just use the pie for eyeing ram usage.

I just fixed the sleepimage... touch+unwritable.