A few rMBP questions before I take the plunge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ideonode, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ideonode macrumors member

Hi all,

I think I'm going to buy the new rMBP (probably 2.7 ghz, 16gb ram). Before I do, I was wondering whether anyone knew the answers to the following to help me make my choice:

1. Will there be thunderbolt thumb drives in the future? I'm debating whether to keep the stock 512gb ssd or go for the 768gb one. The latter is pretty expensive, so was wondering whether an option would be to stick with the smaller driver and hope for technology options in the future.

2. If I get AppleCare, will it start from the day I place my order, the day the laptop ships, or the day I get it? Given current wait times, it seems to me that if I buy the laptop and AppleCare now, I could lose a month of care (I appreciate that the actual AppleCare doesn't kick in till a year after purchase)

3. Has anyone used the new retina pro with an IDE (e.g. Xcode or eclipse)? Any thoughts?

4. Will the rain design iLap work with the new retina pro?

Cheers,
    Ideonode

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

There's always USB 3 drives.

AppleCare extends the warranty by an additional 2 years. So it won't start until a year after you receive your laptop.

3. ideonode thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this. Just checking - would it be a year after I receive the laptop or a year after I order it? If there's currently a four week wait to receive, there'd be no point me ordering now if it means I get one month less of AppleCare...

4. luked14 macrumors 6502

When you receive the MacBook, you register it with Apple and your AppleCare starts from the date of that registration.

5. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I've noticed that it's a general practice to order Applecare after having had your new computer for around 11 months.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Definitely not from order date, POSSIBLY from shipping date (which would only be a couple of days). Also, you have up to a year to purchase AppleCare, so you could hold on to your money for now anyway.

I think the stand would be OK, since I note they have one model that fits the 13 inch Air and Pro - and the retina is bigger than a (theoretical) 15 inch air would be. Looking at the pictures, it should hold any laptop of the right size - there's no clips or slots or anything like that. But I'm sure the folks at Ilap can tell you for sure.

Thunderbolt or not, 256 GB thumb drives seem unlikely anytime soon! There are certainly TB drives though, and there will be more of them. For a thumb drive, USB 3.0 is more than adequate, especially if you're going to store music or videos on it.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

One can usually find it for less than Apple's prices on places like Amazon or B&H too.

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

In terms of TB, realize that the bottle neck will become the SSD inside the MBP. Theoretical speeds will not materialize (data transfer-thumb drive) faster than the read/write devise. Although, if the bottle neck problem ever becomes the Mac 's SSD...we finally have a good problem!

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I doubt there will be Thunderbolt thumb drives. Otherwise they would be pretty big and expensive. USB 3.0 thumb drives on the other hand are pretty fast and available now.

You could also use a SDXC card, which currently go up to 128GB. The theoretical capacity limit is 2TB with read/write speeds going up to 300MB/s, so in the future that might be a good option for portable external storage.

10. sahot macrumors newbie

I just opened up xcode and it doesn't look bad, the text is clear, icons look good, I think i saw a little pixelation on the xcode logo, overall i think it looks fine though. I can't be sure it's been 100% upgraded to work with retina just yet, I use Mvim to develop so, I haven't actually used xcode much yet.

11. ZipZap macrumors 603

Forget TB, USB 3 drives are cheaper and fast. I would not waste time with a thumb drive. Get a good USB drive enclosure and a fast drive (or even and SSD).

12. ideonode thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses on this! I decided to go for an all-in rMBP (2.7/16/768).

I took your advice and asked Rain Design about this. Their response:
    So there you have it.

Cheers,
    ideonode

13. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

You can buy apple care before your waranty expired so you got less than a year to save some money.

14. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

But you won't get the telephone support after 90 days if you don't take out the Apple care.....it's pretty useful.

15. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I never use telephone support if I have problem I went straight to the genius bar. I rather show them my problem than described it thru the phone.