A few ?s about backing up iPhoto '08 library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hdsalinas, Aug 26, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi I have been using iphoto for a few weeks now and I really like it inspite being a bit slower than o6. I love the events view. But I am having a few questions about backing up the iPhoto library.

• Since in this new version the library is now a self contained icon, if I simply copy it to a dvd will I be able to open it in windows machines? (so that I can open the original picture folders)
    • My current library size is over 5.3Gb and growing, How will I be able to backit up when it no longer fits a DL DVD?

Thanks for your help

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

backup options

If you copy your iPhoto '08 library file to a DVD I do not believe you will be able to open it on a computer running Windows. It seems to be some proprietary package, similar to the application packages used in OS X. Although this method is perfect for backing up your photos in case of drive failure, if you want to read it on any computer, you will want to do the following:

Select the photos that you want to burn in iPhoto (i.e. select specific albums or the entire library). Then click on "burn" under the "Share" menu. This should allow you to span accoss disks.

You could also try opening the iPhoto Library package (right/control-click, show package contents) and burn specific folders as necessary. Be careful in there though. Things are not organized or marked very well. The iPhoto GUI is the way you are supposed to interact with the photos.

Alternatively (and something most anyone would highly recommend), you could buy a cheap external hard drive and backup to that. It is fast, easy and safe.

I hope this helps at least a little.

3. secretpact macrumors 6502

Can I just drag the entire iPhoto Library "folder" into my external and then when I install iLife '08 again, replace the new iPhoto Library folder with my backed up one?

The reason I'm asking is I'm about to do an Erase & Install right now and this is the last thing on my list :)

4. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Yes this is perfectly fine to do. that is the way i use to back up my iphoto library before time machine and wiht out the use of 3rd party software

5. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Previously, if you had expanded the Library to show recent years of photos, selected one, and clicked on 'Burn', it would backup both originals and modified pictures in whatever structure iPhoto would need to restore those pics.

Any idea of that is the same case now? You would have to create a smart playlist to determine date range, but it's not clear if originals/modifieds are included as well...

Edit: Scratch that, it looks like it does do the modifieds (I'm assuming so from the displayed size of playlist versus size on disc numbers showing when you actually click on the Burn icon).