A few Safari questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobertoq, Mar 27, 2008.

1. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to use ClearType font rendering? A actually prefer Apple's font rendering, but it's font rendering makes it stick out like a soar thumb on Windows.

Is it possible to install themes or extensions (like firefox) I would really like these features/extensions:
    Search Suggestions
    hi-quality customizable AD BLOCKING (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865)
    Something like NoScript (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722)

how can i use other search engines in the search box?

is it possible to click the scroll wheel then scroll?

Can i make the fonts in the UI more readable? possibly make them bigger, more bold, bigger, darker, or not embossed, or anything to make it more readable? it's kind of hard on my eyes. I would really appreciate this one.

oooh wow this message was getting long, so i just resized the box :eek: awesome

Is it possible to use your OS theme instead of Safari's?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Not yet. WebKit nightlies support this, I think.

No, it's not, not on Windows anyway.

No.

No.

No.

No.

...Based on your questions, why the heck are you using Safari at all? :confused:

3. bobertoq thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm getting a Mac soon and I want to get used to it's environment. I can switch back to Firefox 3 :p

I am using the nightly build right now, so can I use ClearType now?

another thing i noticed is web pages load very fast, but sometimes, after it looks like the page is done, it gets stuck for a minute or so. Is this normal?

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I can't say that's normal as I haven't experienced it. Sometimes a site will have some off-site ad that takes a while to load, but...

In any case, on a Mac there are some plugins for Safari (though technically they're hacks) that do things like ad-blocking and other stuff.

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

For Safari on a Mac, I recommend using 2 plugins. SafariStand and Inquisitor. Both are simply great.

There are install instructions and screenshots on my site, in case you want to see what you'll get.

/Rupert

6. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Hey mackindergarten,

I installed SafariStand per your wonderful instructions on your site. VERY easy to understand and easy to follow. Thank you.

I was wondering though: since I installed it and started using the Sidebar, clicking on a link won't open that link. I mean, it does nothing.

In the past, clicking on a link used to open a new window, but I found a tip that said to type into Terminal "defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true" (without the quotation marks), then restart Safari.

Have you heard of anything like this? Wouldn't happen to have a suggestion, would ya?

James

7. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

James,

this is a hint to force Safari into a true, one window mode. Where links, containing the "_blank" don't open a new window but get forced to open in a new tab (instead of a window).

For more information, see this hint at TUAW.

/Rupert

PS: I'm not sure; does it work for you to open links normally now?

8. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Problem solved!

Menu Bar-->Stand-->SafariStand Setting-->General-->check the box "Open Target Link in New Tab"

D'OH! missed that setting:eek:.

Totally happy with this plugin now.

James