A few "silly" firefox questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shoelessone, Jul 17, 2007.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I'm a first time Apple owner after coming from a 9 hour a day (computer science senior) Windows (and sometimes Linux) world.

So far I'm pretty happy with everything but I'll save those details for another thread :)

Anyway, I have a few basic, probably silly seeming Firefox questions:

1. This might seem insignificant, but in windows/linux anytime I click the address bar in firefox, the entire address is selected by default. This is great because I can start typing a new address right away. Obviously I can double (or triple) click to select everything, but I am so incredibly used to the "single click in address bar to select address" thing that this is driving me crazy! I'm wondering if anybody has noticed this, and if so if there are any fixes...

2. Beating a dead horse: I've installed flash, etc, but more often then not videos in firefox are not displayed correctly. Sometimes where the video should be I see all white. If I guess at the location of the "play" button and manage to click it, the videos will start playing. Else wise I see nothing. If I scroll while the video is playing, sometimes it will disappear again. I have different issues depending on which type of video that's playing (gizmod.com always gives me plenty of issues)

3. Mainly out of curriosity, is the idea of "full screen" firefox a thing of the past on OSX? it seems strange, I've looked through the "view" menu but can't find "full screen" as an option. It's not a huge deal because I didn't use "full screen" often, but I just seems so strange that the feature would be missing (because of the menu bar?).

Anyway, thanks for any help, and thanks for a wonderful forum/resource :)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. Click the favicon (or just hit cmd-L)

2. That's a problem on some sites for me, too. Safari actually does a better job on some of them, but I think it's a combination of poor website programming and a s****y flash plug-in for Macs in general...

3. Full screeen just isn't the Mac way... ;) But there's a work around to make a "Fullscreen button": Make a bookmark in the Bookmarks Bar (mine is called "(F)") and then paste this as the location: javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, not only was that incredibly helpful, but I'm impressed you called it a Favicon :)

Thanks! <3

4. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse