A few silly questions before buying an ipad pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vicviper789, Aug 6, 2017.

1. vicviper789 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying an iPad pro to replace my Surface pro 3 but I have a few questions that could be deal breakers.

I know this sounds silly but am I able to lock the rotation in either portrait or landscape with the iPad? I have an iPhone 6s+ and I can't lay in bed on my side with the phone in landscape mode- iOS only locks the rotation to portrait mode. It's infuriating to where I am considering jail breaking

The 10.5" iPad looks like the sweet spot and i want to use the Pencil to draw mock ups for 3D printing. Do the apps that support apple pencil expect you to unlock the ability to use it with an in app purchase or subscription? I know it sounds silly but it's a legitimate question since Devs seem to be moving to subscription/iapp's. I could very easily see "unlock the ability to use the pencil for $5/mo"

Last, am I able to move the cursor with a 3D press like on the iphone? I believe the ipad does not have 3D touch but there maybe an alternative way. I am asking because it seems apple has a lot of feature that they expect the user to just know about

Thanks guys!

2. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Yes you can lock to either orientation.

This will, of course, depend on specific apps but as far as I'm aware of, all the popular apps don't. If you buy the apps you can use the pencil fine. The in app purchase bit might be for extra app features.

You can tap and hold with 2 fingers on the onscreen keyboard to move the cursor.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I would recommend you check out the IPP first before just purchasing.
    I have both the new iPad pros and an SP4, they are different type devices but if i could only have one - i'd be keep the SP4 for sure.

Ipad doesn't have 3d touch.

4. willmtaylor, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You do,not even have to use two finger to move the cursor, just one finger and little bit of pressure . . .. .

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

That’s only on iPhone 6s and above. Not the iPad.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not so. I can move my cursor around on my 10.5 now.

8. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Yes, with 2 fingers. The iPad hasn’t got 3D Touch.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

No issues with my iPad holding one finger. Thats how moving the curser has always been since iPhone OS 1.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2017 ---
    Pressure is the not the same thing as 3D Touch. One finger works.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No you are wrong again. One finger I can move the cursor anywhere.

No need for two fingers.

11. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I’m on about the two finger swipe on the keyboard to move the cursor

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

No where did you specify that. You said it must be 2 fingers to move the cursor. One finger works perfectly fine in the text box.

13. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

That’s what I meant. Sorry I didn’t explain myself properly. It’s been a long weekend.

14. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

Thank you so much. I LOVE this function on the iPhone. Had no idea this is how it's done on iPad.

15. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

Who knew? I love learning something that is so easy, helpful, and new. Thanks for sharing this.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68040

1. Do you already have a laptop/desktop other than your Surface Pro?
    If yes: Get the iPad Pro.
    If no: Keep the Surface Pro.

:)

17. vicviper789 thread starter macrumors member

I have a Desktop, 2009 15" macbook pro, 2013 13" macbook pro, and the surface. I had an older ipad air but it was pretty much useless since it didn't even have enough ram to prevent safari from reloading websites if i switched apps so I gave it away.

I tried the IPP in the store and it felt like a sweet device but my computing needs are pretty simple: web browser, CAD, and programming stuff. I feel it would be useful to sketch on (it's hard finding decent apps for the surface)

18. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

Is your surface pro slow and does it heat up? I'd always wanted one, but not having had a windows in 8 years makes me worries. That's why I'm aiming for an iPad Pro.

19. vicviper789 thread starter macrumors member

I used the surface for notes in college. I have the mid range i5/ 4gb ram version and the experience isn't as polished as an ipad. The surface keyboard had weak magnets and would open up in my backpack then not go to sleep so it would burn all the battery and feel like a toaster after a few hours. The speed was fine but there were occasional glitches and freezes. The battery life is pretty good and would get me through a school day. I am still running windows 8 though, the windows 10 forced update issue would occasionally cause it to reboot when I absolutely needed my surface. (I have even lost a few pieces of work on my desktop because of the forced restarts)

20. TinaBelcher, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend iPads for classes, but that's just me. those who uses it for school often write their notes with the Apple pencil in notability. If that is the case, then go for it! I always type my notes, so it wouldn't work for me. That's why I'm using a macbook pro in classes, but at home I use iPad. I always study in bed, so I can't stand the heat from the mac. It makes me sweaty after a while.

Sidenote: I enjoyed watching my classmates freak out because their windows computer would freeze, restart or suddenly force an update in the middle of class. Thats what they get for mocking my macbook, lol!