A few simple questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pulsewidth947, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Hi - I got a great christmas bonus this year so I'm going to use it to get a 16GB iPod Touch. However I just have a few questions to help me get ready.

1) I don't want to Jailbreak it in case it dies, but is there a way to get the Mail app on there? Doesn't matter if you can't because I can just use the web gmail access.

2) Any videos that I want to sync have to be in iTunes right?

3) Are bookmarks are synched from Safari?

4) Can you add events in iCal without Jailbreaking it?

I think that's about it :)

2. nordesmic macrumors member

1) No, don't think so

2) Yes

3) I assume you mean "Can you sync the bookmarks from the computer version of safari onto the ipod version of safari?"

I don't think this is possible.

4) The recent firmware update fixed it so that it is now possible to add events in ical on the iPod Touch.

hope that helps.

3. isshou macrumors member

isshou

1) Not right now, but in my personal opinion it is very likely this Apple trend will change.

2) Yes.

3) Yes yo can do it. Once the iPT is connected to iTunes, select the tag "Info", scroll down to "Web browser" and tick the box "Sync Safari bookmarks".

4) Yes with firmware update Version 1.1.2, readily available from iTunes.

Good luck,
    regards,
    ro

4. aki macrumors 6502a

2) No. Well at least, it depends what you mean by synch. If you want to add a video to your touch without importing it into iTunes, drag the video file from the Finder direct onto your iPod touch in the left pane of iTunes. The file will upload directly to your touch.

3) Definitely yes.

4) Definitely yes.

5. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Nice pointing out for clarification. As I understood the question, there is not way to "Sync" (yes to load) unless it is loaded in iTunes as "Syncing" is in nature an iTunes specific feature.

Thank you for pointing it out.
    regards,
    ro

6. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Fantastic. Basically I don't want my videos in my iTunes library. They are videos.. not tunes. :)

Thanks for all your responses. I reckon I can deal with the shortcomings of the touch.

7. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

OK I now have my touch. I tried the trick of dragging an MP4 onto my touch in iTunes but it didn't work. It would let me add it to the library, but not drag onto the touch.

Do I have to set it to manually update in order to do this?

8. aki macrumors 6502a

OK well it definitely works for me, I did it just this morning. Not sure what the deal is, I will have a play when I get home today and see if I can figure out what you might be doing different.

Oh, yes btw I do have mine set for manual update and that could easily be the problem. Try changing that and see.

9. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Aw thats a shame. I like having automatic updates as it then copies over my play counts and ratings. I'll just have to add the files to iTunes then I suppose! Thanks for your response though.