A few Sony HDR-SR10E Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dingo Dave 69, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I am looking at buying this camcorder and was hoping someone could answer the following:

1: Will it work with iMovie HD 6?

2: Will it work ok with a year old macbook, intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, GMA 950?

3: Is there anything else I should know about using this setup? Anyone elsue using the same thing?

Thanks everyone:)

2. charliemcarter macrumors newbie

Not answering your questions but only wanted to point out that when I bought my Sony HD camcorder, I was unaware that it recorded in some proprietary format.
    Something like ACHF... and that discs recorded in that format would only play on a BluRay disc player. I have since learned how to downgrade the HD recording to SD so that the discs burned will play on standard DVD players.

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The SR10 records high definition video in the AVCHD format (which a number of manufacturers have implemented in their camcorders). iMovie 6 isn't able to import AVCHD directly, so you'll either have to upgrade to iMovie '08 or look at a third party app like Voltaic HD (google it) to convert your clips from AVCHD to a format iMovie likes. There is no native AVCHD editing support from Apple: although iMovie '08 and Final Cut support AVCHD camcorders (of which there are a wide range now), they both convert AVCHD to an editable format using AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

Long story short, once you've got the clips converted, you should be able to edit your video on your MacBook.

Andrew.

4. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the posts guys.

I have another question following that last post. Is it worthwhile upgrading to iLife 8 from iMovie if I am buying this camera? It sounds like it might be.

For recording in HD I was planning on saving the content on external hard drives and then streaming it to appletv I assume this would work ok?

Lastly, If I record something in HD can I then convert it on the mac to play on a standard DVD, or iPhone? Obviously it will not be in HD but can it be done and if so, how?

5. charliemcarter macrumors newbie

HD Convert to SD

Along with the Sony HD camcorder I purchased, I also bought a Sony device that records onto DVDs. Nice, easy to use, white, square box that cost about $170 recently at Sam's Club in Hawaii. By using it, I am able to hook up the camcorder with its HD content directly to the box, and by using an alternative hook up (explained in the instructions) am able to produce SD DVD's that I can then dump into my computer.