A few SSD questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubedweller, Dec 12, 2012.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I've been reading the huge SSD threads and decided to purchase a Samsung 830 for my '10 MBP 15" (arriving tomorrow!)... should I update the firmware? is it a necessity? do people recommend it? I know that Windows is required.

Also, are there any downsides to installing the old drive in the optical bay? I haven't used the optical bay in years and have no problems getting rid of it.. will OSX ML put the HDD to sleep properly? Any battery life problems? What issues have people experienced? I feel like putting the old/slow drive back in is sort of counter-productive.. I could get buy without the space, but it would be nice.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes I HIGHLY recommend it.

Having no optical drive, voiding warranty/applecare, having to have the knowledge to take apart your own MBP.

Yes, but it cant/wont use PowerNap.

No. If anything, you will get more battery life.

If you NEVER use the Opitcal Drive, put the older/slower HDD in its place for sure. Use it for extra storage, even if its not critical. Its definitely more convenient to have. You can grab a $10 Optibay Caddy from Amazon.com or Ebay from the link in my signature.

3. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I just ordered it. The swap is pretty quick right? I've built many PCs over the years so I'm not worried about the difficulty. I have AppleCare for another 8 months or so, but I could easily swap the optical drive back in if anything happened...

----------

...one more question, do I need any special tools/cables? I have a variety of small screw drivers which should work from what I've read.. but what about connecting the SSD to my PC for the firmware update?

4. Macman45, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I purchased the little kit in the picture a while back when my old set "vanished" probably borrowed and not returned...It has everything you will need for the job, and is guaranteed to strip any MBP to it's components...All the tools you need are there.

Attached Files:

5. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

I'm pretty sure your Samsung 830 will have the latest FW installed (CXM03B1Q). It wasn't changed from Jan. 2012. That's the one thing I like about Samsung, their FW is rock solid from the beginning and rarely you need to mess with it later;)

6. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good news.. is there an easy way to check this before installing?

7. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Not quite sure, maybe some more knowledgable folks can chime in... I think you need to install it first. I used TRIM enabler to see what version I have (see screenshot below). Plus, I think, for updating Samsung's firmware you need to have a Windows machine, if I am not mistaken, or install it through Bootcamp Windows partition. But like I said, you rarely will need to do it, so no worries.

Just realized, you can also see it in System Report -> Storage ;)

Attached Files:

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm pretty sure the firmware version is listed on the drive itself, but I don't want to take my computer apart just to see.

9. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

It doesn't look like. This is mine (I took a pic before installing it):

Attached Files:

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Weird. I could have sworn mine had a larger sticker with more information on it.

Either way, it's very likely that the drive will have the most recent firmware and if it is stable there is no reason to update it.

11. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help everyone! Installed the Samsung 830 256GB and swapped the optical drive for my 500GB in my '10 MBP 15". Everything went smoothly. It's like a brand new machine!

Attached Files:

12. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

..oh ya, it also shipped with the newest firmware, so I lucked out there! ;)