A Few SSD Swap Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TribeFan1, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

So this morning I upgraded my 2012 15" MacBook Pro from a 750 GB 5400 RPM hard drive to the Crucial MX200 Solid State Drive. It was a little eventful, with the improper RAM install beeps (I wanted to see what it was like to take it out and put it back in before I upgrade that) and then a blank black screen and no start the first tries for booting. I took it all out, tried the hard drive, it started, so I redid the swap again and now all works well. To do the swap I used Carbon Copy Cloner (would recommend), but ended up with a few post swap questions. 1, Is there any software(Windows or Mac) to clone the bootcamp portion (Windows 7) to a new bootcamp partition on the SSD? Also Microsoft Office is asking for a new code to be able to use it. All of my Adobe CS6 and other software works fine, but Office is requiring a new code. Is this normal and is there a way to not have to repurchase office?

And on an unrelated note, if I update to El Capitan, does Adobe CS6 work? I've read so many conflicting topics on it here and over at Adobe so a straight answer would be awesome.

Thank you for your help!

2. Weaselboy, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Winclone is what you want for the Bootcamp move.

That is normal with the MS Office products and there is no way around it. What happens is the software sees the new hardware UUID and thinks it on a new machine, so requires reentry of the registration serial numbers. No way around it.

Sorry... dunno the answer on the CS6 issue.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have El Capitan 10.11.2 and CS6 works fine for me.

4. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Thank you for the answers! One day into the swap it feels like a new computer with the way applications open up so quickly. I think the next upgrade will be 16 GB ram. Because I can get Windows software through my college I'll probably just take the time and redo the boot camp partition, especially since I will have to repurchase office anyway. It should be a little bit cheaper than Winclone and I don't have many files on that side. Sometime soon I will do the upgrade to El Capitan. After using the computer with SSD, it seems like the hard drive was the limiting factor of the computer and not the processor or related components