A few Time Capsule questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Primejimbo, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I tried looking for these answers, but can't find them..

I just got a 1TB Time Capsule and I will set it up today or tomorrow and I set up my in-laws yesterday and it wasn't to bad to set up.
    Now when I set mine up and I go to my in-laws and go on their network will my Macbook back up on there Time Capsule or do I have to turn off my Time Machine?
    My other question I know when my Macbook is off it's pretty safe from hackers, how safe is my info on the Time Capsule?
    Thanks!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It shouldn't backup to your inlaws as yours has a unique identifier (e.g., MAC address or similar).

Also, are you aware of the TC failures around 18 months?

3. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok good and I have Apple Care. I got it as a gift also.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Personally, I think the Time Capsule should be renamed to Time Bomb. I'd much rather have an AEBSn and drive connected to it. Data loss is a scary thing.

5. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Well my boss and a 2 other friends have it and like it. They never said anything about issues.

Now another question:
    I have my daughters stuff on my Macbook, do I have to log into her account to for Time Machine to back stuff up or does it all get backed up at once?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Have a read here. It seems as though the power supply fails after about 18 months. No assurance they can recover your data. You can't open it without voiding the warranty, so you have to send the whole thing in - data and all.

Time Machine should back everything up so long as you have it set to do so. Of course, for multiple computers you have to configure TM for each.

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I have a side question. When on a different subnet or gateway entirely from you home ip can you setup time capsule to backup via time machine remotely?!?!?:apple: