A few Vertex 3 240s left

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sydenham, Apr 2, 2011.

1. sydenham macrumors regular

2. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    ohhh i want a v3 sooooo badly!

but they are so expensive atm!!!
    £420 here in the UK - $680 - :eek: :eek: :eek:

will wait till the price drops and the privilege of copping the 1st of sf2000 controller .. also waiting to se the offerings by owc and co

3. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

i got am email from larry at owc,he told me that they are definately bringing out a sata 6 gb ssd in the next few weeks,ps there good guys at owc,my experience anyhow,really good.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I need a 240 GB 6 Gbps drive from OWC for about $500. I'd be all over it.

5. altecXP macrumors 65816

I asked them today and they said they weren't allowed to talk about is until it was announced.

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Do you guys think OWC makes the best drives for Macs, ie, most compatible, least problems encountered?

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Once they get the hibernation issue completely fixed I think they'll be right up there. I'm hoping they figure it out with the next release.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

No, but it's always right around the corner.:rolleyes:

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What would you chose from what is currently available?

10. altecXP macrumors 65816

Well I see more complaints about OCZ then any other company so I'd personally stay clear, they also have the higher failure rate at ~3%.

Mushkin, OWC, and Intel are the only 3 companies in the SSD market I trust.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

Well first off, my notebook is mission critical when I'm traveling for work.. so I value reliability and compatibility first. Performance is important too, but the move to SSD is so huge. To me it's almost splitting hairs beyond that.

I favor the Intel drives for these reasons. The G2 drives have been rock solid, and the 320's are looking good as well. I think they're a good bet since they use the same controller, but of course with different firmware. The Intel drives also make it easy to perform firmware updates on Macs, unlike the Sandforce units. The Intel G2 drives have lead the pack with low failure rates, and Anand had some encouraging things to say about Intel's belief that the 320's even improve this further.

So I guess 100% proven, Intel G2. Less proven, but looking good so far, Intel 320. If you don't mind -possible- hibernation problems, plus clumsy firmware upgrades then you can consider the OWC drives.

The Intel 510 looks promising too, but only for a SATA II controller at this time. It's not rock solid with the new 2011 MBPs. Lots of potential for the new Sandforce drives as well as the new Crucial.. but time will tell.

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

13. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

$500 on Amazon. May be a little wait though.

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

yes i looooove my owc drive, dont get me wrong - but i thought sandforce/ocz reached an agreement giving ocz exclusive 1st hands on the sf2000 controllers for a limited time and for ocz to get first dabs on f/w

but will wait a few months.. need to buy a TC - just spent $3500 on my mac + peripherals and upgrades

15. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

thats uk price - £420-460 approx $620-700 USD equivalent :mad:

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Crucial drives have gotten good reviews on the desktop Windows forums, how are they for Macs?

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

c300 - they are pretty good, but without trim, i heard from some peeps on here they experienced performance degradation...no a prob now we have the trim hack!

c400 also look pretty good

for me though. sandforce all the way

18. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What drive are you using now?

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

owc ssd 120gb - its old tho
    boots in 7secs with trim
    apps loads instantly..and 270 read/260write

waiting for v3 to come down in price or the new owc sf2000
    wait to see the benchmarks reviews

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That is still good performance. And it works.

21. Resist macrumors 68030

That's even to expensive. I'll pass.

22. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

are the owc drives now the 25nm version ? is that the update you are waiting for ? when I spoke to them they said they were the newer ones

23. brentsg macrumors 68040

Neither Barefeats nor Lloyd Chambers will recommend the Crucial drives so I didn't even consider them.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbps02.html
    "The 2011 is the first MacBook Pro to have a 6Gb/s internal SATA interface. We included the 6Gb/s Crucial RealSSD C300 to verify this but we do NOT recommend this drive. For one thing, the write speed is sub par. It gets worse. Lloyd Chambers explains what I mean in the Mac Performance Guide."

http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld-SevereDuty.html
    "The Crucial 256GB RealSSD was “toast”. Writing at about 13MB/sec for most of its capacity, the Crucial RealSSD is on life support."

Now most people won't have a heavy enough load to get the Crucial drive to corner itself, but why bother?

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Certainly not. By their own admission they have known for months that up to 10% of their users will have the "sleep bug", yet they continued to sell the drive knowing that. Also they recently switched from 34nm NAND to 25nm NAND without changing model names at all. Further, they tout themselves as a "Mac" vendor, but there is no way for you to upgrade the firmware on their drives without installing Windows on under Bootcamp.

Here is an entire thread about users with OWC SSD problems.

Stay away IMO.