A few words about Image Capture, and your newly discovered OSX Apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Surely, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I just wanted to say a few words on this easy to use, fast OSX application.

I used Image Capture for the first time yesterday to scan a 10 page document so that I could email it to someone. I actually didn't know about Image Capture until I read an entry on TUAW about it a little while ago.

I found it amazing that I was able to attach my Canon all in one printer/copier/scanner to my MBP, and Image Capture recognized it and I was ready to scan in 5 seconds.

My wife has been using her work-provided Dell laptop and the Canon software to scan docs/receipts for work, and it takes forever to fire up the application and to do the scanning. To do a 10 page doc on her Dell would have taken 10 minutes.

Image Capture scanned my 10 page doc in around 2 minutes (maybe less?), and automatically saved it as a PDF. Easy, quick, and painless.

I figured that I would start this thread because perhaps there are others out there that don't know about Image Capture and could benefit from its existence.

Also, are there any applications that you have eventually discovered (and are amazed by) that come with your Mac that you were unaware of until recently?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried image capture but found it lacking compared to the provided epson software that I got with my epson scanner.

I suppose, that it's useful to some, but for me it generated a meh

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Another enthusiastic vote for Image Capture. IIRC, MacOS X inherited this gem from OpenSTEP. When I installed the software that shipped with my Canon CanoScan 8600F flatbed scanner, the installer installed a TWAIN plug-in for third party graphics apps as well as an Image Capture-compatible driver. The TWAIN interface for third-party apps SUCKS!!. What in God's name was Canon thinking? OTOH, Image Capture is a joy.