A First Timw iMac (book) User/Buyer Needs Help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdeehere, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jdeehere macrumors newbie

I am in the process of purchasing a used older Mac-book (Pre 2009).
    It is All white and NO OTHER MARKINGS ON IT ((except the Apple logo on cover/topside) Nothing underneath or sides except wee symbols above input ports on side... Is there anyway one can find out which model this Mac-book is I need to know so I can find a o/s installation disk from someone so I can load a operating system into it which isn't working now, all it does is go to the first posting screen and continues to try and load the o/s but is unsuccessful...
    Thanks for any and all help you may offer me in this...
    Again Thanks
    a First time Mac user

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I think that machine sounds like a macbook and if you pick up a copy of OS X 10.5(Leopard) you should be fine since that OS can be run on both PowerPC machines and Intel machines as well.

3. simsaladimbamba

If it has MacBook written on its front, then you could try this to further identify it.
    As for what OS to get, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will work and can be had for less than Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard currently sells for. You have to find it used though, since Apple stopped selling it.

As for your thread title, it got me confused, since an iMac is not the same as a MacBook, but maybe it was just a spelling mistake.
    To edit your thread title just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

4. jdeehere thread starter macrumors newbie

"

Thanks for answering it's a "MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White/06) 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (T7200)" My problem is now where this 78 year old man can find a installation disc I can download from...Any Ideas

5. simsaladimbamba

You have to search eBay or Craigslist for the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD (typically 29 USD, but nowadays probably more expensive), not a grey Restore DVD, since they are tied to a specific Mac model.

Or if you have an Apple Store nearby, you could ask them, if they could get their hands on a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD.

As for downloading, only Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion are downloadable, the rest only via illegal torrents.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios