A Fix for Signal Loss for Metal Bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boba7523, Jun 24, 2013.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Has anyone found a fix for the signal loss after putting on metal bumpers? I'd really love to have one on but it seems like the iPhone will lose signal drastically...

PS: I'm talking about the metal bumper that covers just the sides. Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes purchase a titanium bumper.

3. Partridge macrumors 6502

Wrong. Titanium will block signal just as well as any other conductive metal.

It's a matter of design for antenna compatibility. You don't want metal on metal contact bridging the antenna segments and you need to have a critical amount and location of antenna exposed.

Different model phones have different requirements. The 4 is very picky in the band on the lower left corner, which is why some cases have plastic there. The 4S less so, but both of the 4's are still dependent on the metal band for antenna function. The 5 on the other hand is very dependent on the two glass panels on the back. So a metal case on the 4 is a tough job, but a carbon fiber back is ok. On the 5 a carbon back will kill your signal, but metal bumpers do better.

4. tekkifi macrumors member

It's a hardware issue with the bumper. Other than taking the bumper off your phone, there isn't anything you can do...which sucks because there are so many awesome looking bumpers that suffer because of signal issues.

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Maybe drill a hole where the antennas are.?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2