Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loophole52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
I have a new folder that appeared out of nowhere on my desktop recently. The title of the folder is Mail- (my name) look_Files. It holds hundreds of items, the vast majority look like this: owa_231.js

The files range in size from 526 bytes to usually 251KB, but some are larger. Every one bears the same date, Mar 23 2021 4:10 PM

What the heck is this? Can I just drag the folder into Trash and be done with it?

Thanks.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
.js files = Java script.

What are they doing there? Haven’t a clue but you really haven’t given us much to work with... The standard questions apply:
What model and year Mac are we talking about?
Which Mac OS?
What were you doing just before this happened? Frequently folders appear after updates containing old, unsupported files
Since “mail” is in the name of your mystery folder, tell us about your email habits. Is your in box tidy and up to date or do you typically have many unread messages at any given time?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Since “mail” is in the name of your mystery folder, tell us about your email habits.
I think we can deduce from the names of the js files that the O.P. is using Outlook Web Access in a browser. Now we need to know the browser and its version - as well as macOS. And maybe whether the mail server is MS's consumer Outlook, an Exchange server, or whatever.

Reactions: Longkeg

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Sounds like you saved a webpage by accident (Command + S in browser). That creates a folder named after the title of the webpage + "_files" with a bunch of .js and .css files inside. Go ahead and delete it.

loophole52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
I have a 2015 MBP running Mojave 10.14.6 Browser is Firefox and yes I have a Hotmail account on Outlook. Inbox tends to be tidy, maybe 20 emails in there at any given time. Thank you for your clarifying questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.