a free DVD copy program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, Dec 22, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

What is the best programme for copying DVDs?

I just what the movie, not the menus, onto a rewriteable DVD, watch it and then erase it.

A freebie, or a fully working demo, to see me over the Christmas until pay day.

Cheers

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Use the search function!!

Handbrake
    Rip it
    Mac the ripper.

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did.

Handbrake doesn't create DVDs
    RipIt isn't free
    MacTheRipper doesn't have a website - don't trust a program like that.

anybody else?

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I used MactheRipper without any problems...despite the fact it doesn't have a website.:rolleyes:

And Handbrake will create a movie file which you can easily burn onto a DVD simply by creating a Burn Folder on the desktop and just burn it! You said you didn't want the menus and such. You could easily read back the movie file off the DVD and watch the video file again. HECK...you should be able to burn 2 or 3 movie files onto a typical DVD (most of my encodes end up being between 1 & 2GB) Of course this won't play back on most standard DVD players. You might be able to take the movie file and load it into iDVD I suppose if you need a DVD that will play on a standard machine.

And tell us WHY you just want to go through the trouble of burning a DVD for a one-time viewing? Just watch the movie. :p

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

6. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

where is a safe site to download it?

Why?;)

7. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I have used MacTheRipper for years with few problems. There may not be a site anymore, but there is a forum located here (click on the forum link on the left). You might have to register to use it though.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/

There are many places to download the software, but they are all an old version. If you send a donation to the author, he'll send you the latest one.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414/mactheripper

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacUpdate has an older version of MacTheRipper.

As the name says, it rips/copies the video DVD's content to your HDD.
    It will not shrink the contents though. Depending on the size of the Video_TS folder you might need a DL-DVD-/+RW to burn it using the software Burn.

And "why" is a good question, as you might have noticed while signing up and agreeing to the MacRumors Forum rules, there are certain things not allowed here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do point 3.

9. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

I did not do any of this :confused:

if asking about a DVD copy is included in this then why do so many people ask and so many answer?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's concerning the point about media.

It's okay.

You just go to such a great hustle of copying a DVD you (may probably?) own for viewing it once via another DVD.
    And you also made a strange emoticon after you have been asked why you want't to go through all this.

And have you not gotten any satisfying answers in the numerous threads about this topic, as you allude to know of such threads existing?

11. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then I broke no rules??

Hardly relevant. The "why" does not help the "how".

Hardly a "strange emoticon" - very common, even offered here!!!

No, I honestly didn't. I had assumed than since MacTheRipper is several years old that surely a newer program was about.

MacTheRipper only extracts the files!!

Is there a program that will extract and burn?

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on where you got the DVD, as DVD is a medium.

That may be true, but sometimes people like to understand other people and their reasoning, therefore the question why.

I know it's common. I just don't use those things, and it was strange in combination with the why, as it was alluding to something.
    I may have misinterpreted or I may have not. We'll never know. ;)

As one poster above already told you, you can get a newer version if you contact the developer and donate some green/blue/rose (whatever colour your currency has).
    And the older 2.x MTR is still one good program for most DVDs around. That's why it even gets mentioned in threads not nearly one week, month or year old.

If the combination of MTR and Burn works for you, then all is good.
    If not, we can help you in other ways.

What is the problem with using two free applications?

You could also use Disk Utility, but as commercial video DVDs have copyright protection schemes on them you need MacTheRipper to extract the Video_TS folder and remove that protection thingy.

13. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Parts n question bolded.

Making a copy of a commercial movie DVD is prohibited (it says so on the notice that invariably comes up before the movie starts).

You've also looked over the fact that asking for help on how to pirate movies is also prohibited.

You pretty much admit that this is what you're attempting to do and neglect to say when you're going to "erase" the DVD (although once you finalize the DVD, you can't do that and DVD players won't play disks that haven't been finalized).

Unfortunately, these kinds of threads don't seem to be removed unless they're really blatantly asking for how to pirate a DVD, so they remain.

14. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got them from Amazon. I don't see how that information helps.

I understand that, but it still doesn't answer the question.

I do not know if you misinterpreted my meaning because I don't know how you interpreted it.
    But I was indeed alluding to something - it doesn't matter to the answering of the question.

I can pay after Christmas as I said, which is why I needed the freebie/demo.

Is Burn another program?

15. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I clearly stated "rewriteable DVDs" so you are incorrect - they can be erased after finalisation.

Yes, there are many threads concerning this topic and a lot of experienced members offering help so I don't see the difference between this one and those.

16. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Yes, Burn is the program I mentioned above.

You could have spent the time you spent on this thread on Google and you would have already copied about a dozen DVDs.