A free, easy way to make Mac browsers faster

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for this. I'll check it out. Nothing wrong with faster browsing!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Glad I could help (or try, at least.) Hopefully you'll all find this of some use.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Thanks for the heads up.

Got a 33% improvement, but browsing hasn't been noticeably different, guess the old one wasn't that bad :)

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Does seem to be faster with me
But I had to add the DNS to my airport list, not the a new ethernet

Maybe I didn't do it right
But I am not connected by ethernet

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
WOW
That was quite an improvement!
Mine was 42% faster
The thing is, 10.0.1.1 is already set as my primary DNS server. The first time I ran namebench, it said 10-1-1 was 130% faster than my current server, which was already 10.0.1.1. The second time I ran namebench, it came up with 247%. Something's wonky.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Mine was 144%. Second test revealed one that was 42% faster. Switched to that one. It's holding steady now.

Things do seem snappier, but we'll see.

Interesting . . .

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
There can be potential problems. My router was supplied by Verizon and is hardwired to go to it's DNS server, which puts up a fake web page with links if you type in something wrong rather than returning failure. OpenDNS does the same (how do you think they make their money?). Google DNS gives the correct "not found" response. So I have to override the DHCP provided DNS setting (192.168.1.1, the router) in every computer to use Google DNS. But if I do that then I don't get DNS service for the systems on the LAN. Eventually I plan to use a Mac Mini Server to be my DHCP and DNS server, then I can forward requests to Google DNS and all will be fine again.

In general, if you have a local server, you want to use that for DNS as it will cache the addresses and be faster responding than any external server.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So how's this going for everyone?

Still good on my end. Things feel quite a bit faster and the DNS server I switched to is still confirmed as fastest on the list.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
There can be potential problems. My router was supplied by Verizon and is hardwired to go to it's DNS server, which puts up a fake web page with links if you type in something wrong rather than returning failure. OpenDNS does the same (how do you think they make their money?). Google DNS gives the correct "not found" response. So I have to override the DHCP provided DNS setting (192.168.1.1, the router) in every computer to use Google DNS. But if I do that then I don't get DNS service for the systems on the LAN. Eventually I plan to use a Mac Mini Server to be my DHCP and DNS server, then I can forward requests to Google DNS and all will be fine again.

In general, if you have a local server, you want to use that for DNS as it will cache the addresses and be faster responding than any external server.
This is the situation I'm in. So, it doesn't help.

Readinglevelup

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
North America
Kinda sad, but I can't even open namebench. Is there something I'm missing? I downloaded it from google, sent it to applications, but when I double-click it won't open. Is the application only for leopard? I have version 10.4.11.